Ring Nebula and M13 Globular Cluster

Oily

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Took these last week but only got round to processing them this weekend.
Ring Nebula,M57

2,300 light years from Earth,formed when a shell of ionized gas is expelled into the surrounding interstella medium by a red giant star, which was passing through the last stage in its evolution before becoming a white dwarf.
M13 Globular Cluster

Consists of approx 300,000 stars,145 light years in diameter and 25,100 light years from Earth

What equipment do you use?

Awesome pics btw.

What equipment do you use?

Awesome pics btw.

Thanks Tawke.
I'm using a Skywatcher 200P OTA,A Canon 350D modified by taking the IR filter out,all plonked on a EQ5 mount with dual axis motors,the mount is overloaded but it's all I could afford at the time.Software wise I'm using BackYardEOS to capture the pictures.

Thanks Tawke.
I'm using a Skywatcher 200P OTA,A Canon 350D modified by taking the IR filter out,all plonked on a EQ5 mount with dual axis motors,the mount is overloaded but it's all I could afford at the time.Software wise I'm using BackYardEOS to capture the pictures.

I'm looking at getting a telescope atm. I've got young kids and want to show them the things I always wanted to look at but never got round to.

That scope of your isn't cheap :)

a side question, what do aeroplanes look like through the scope?

I'm looking at getting a telescope atm. I've got young kids and want to show them the things I always wanted to look at but never got round to.

What you see through the scope with your eyes and the pictures I take are completely different Tawke.For instance,the Ring Nebula would be a very faint ring,greyish in colour.M13 could look like a grey 'smudge' depending on the scope etc.
The camera is far better at picking objects up which are then processed through Photoshop to pick out the colours etc

That scope of your isn't cheap :)
It is compared to some,believe me!I'm doing this on a budget,ok the photos aren't great but for me I think they're fantastic.

a side question, what do aeroplanes look like through the scope?

I've no idea mate but in mine they would appear upside down!!

Superb pics.

in response to the question about planes thru the scope the answered would be blurred!

It would be very difficult to try and track a plane manually through a telescope. I tried once with the ISS (a totally different target really, but just as tricky to track) I managed a brief split second glimpse of it through my scope before i lost

Superb pics.

in response to the question about planes thru the scope the answered would be blurred!

It would be very difficult to try and track a plane manually through a telescope. I tried once with the ISS (a totally different target really, but just as tricky to track) I managed a brief split second glimpse of it through my scope before i lost

The ISS is tricky to see but I've seen people manage to take pictures of it!

Back