Review on Windows 7

snapman

VIP Member
Staff member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Almost three years have passed since the arrival of Microsoft Windows Vista, and it's fair to say that the sixth version of the Windows operating system wasn’t popular with every PC user.

After problems with hardware that didn't work and complaints about the User Account Control security tool (see below), many home computer users chose to stick with the older Windows XP instead.

So with its replacement Windows 7 has Microsoft finally got it right?

Windows 7 system requirements
When it launched, Windows Vista was criticised for having unreasonable system requirements that meant some of its features were not available on all PCs. On paper, the basic requirements for Vista and Windows 7 are nearly identical – both require a 1GHz processor and 1GB of memory.

In practice, however, Windows 7 did seem leaner. We recommend at least 2GB of memory for Windows Vista computers to avoid sluggish performance, and when small simple 'netbook' laptops suddenly became popular Microsoft convinced manufacturers to install Windows XP on them, not the more power-hungry Vista.

With Windows 7, however, we found that even the Ultimate edition installed and ran happily on a netbook computer with 1GB of memory and one of Intel's low-power Atom processors. Windows 7 was also significantly quicker to start up than Vista, and returned from Sleep mode in seconds.

But what about all the extra products and programs that just didn't work with Vista? When it comes to hardware the news isn't so bright. The inner workings of Windows 7 have more in common with Windows Vista than with XP, so any old products whose manufacturers still haven't released updated drivers since Windows XP are not likely to fare better with Windows 7. Software is less of a problem: we found that everything we ran in XP and Vista worked first time in Windows 7.

What's new?
Windows 7 should work on any PC that can handle Vista, and many more besides, including even the cheapest laptops. But what exactly do those who choose to upgrade get, and are the new features worth it? At first the Windows 7 desktop isn't much different from the one in Windows Vista. Start using it, though and you notice a few clever changes. The most important of these affect the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

With both XP and Vista the Taskbar could quite quickly become cluttered. The Quick Launch bar took up space at the left side, and the notification area on the right would soon become full of icons as more and more programs insisted on installing themselves there. With Windows 7, things have been cleaned up.

The Quick Launch bar is gone – instead, favourite programs can be 'pinned' to the left of the Taskbar, allowing them to be started with one click. Run one and Windows doesn't create a new button on the Taskbar: instead, the pinned icon becomes a button. Even if a program has several windows open, it appears only once. The Notification Area is tamed, too: unless you choose otherwise, most programs’ icons are hidden. A little flag appears should anything need attention.

The new Taskbar also makes it easier to find and move between open programs and windows. Hover the mouse over an item there and a preview of its window, or windows, pops up above – click this and it will appear for use. After a few days using this system we began to wonder how we would managed without it.

There are a few other changes to the way windows are used, too. In particular, it's now far easier to quickly rearrange windows: drag one to the top of the screen and it expands to full size, for example, or drag it to the side and it'll fill one half of the screen. This is particularly good for widescreen computers. And if you happen to own a touchscreen computer, Windows 7 will support it without any extra software required.

File it away
There are also changes to how Windows 7 manages documents and files. In Windows XP or Vista most users would store documents in the My Documents folder, so that would be the first place to look for any file. In Windows 7, though, you'll find that it offers to look in the Documents Library instead. This, and the other libraries for Music, Pictures and Videos, don't relate to a single folder on the hard disk. Instead they allow you to view several folders, all holding the same kind of file, at once.
This makes a lot of sense if you have several storage devices, all full of music and documents – rather than having to check each one you can simply view their contents in one place. Even if you don't, using the libraries isn't any more complicated than a My Documents folder – and that folder is still on the disk should you prefer the old-fashioned method.
Changes have been made to the way Windows works with home networks, too. The new Homegroup tool makes it easier to share files between several computers, and it's easy to set up: you enter a short password-like code on each PC. This is a great idea but it's a shame there isn't a tool that allows Windows XP or Vista PCs to connect to a homegroup.
Microsoft has also responded to the complaints about Vista's User Account Control (UAC). Windows 7 is set so that it won't ask for confirmation when you make changes to settings, and you can choose from three other levels of security.

Seventh heaven?
Windows 7 is faster than Vista, runs more comfortably on slower computers, has an improved desktop, easier networking and a less annoying version of UAC. If you're buying a new computer you'll get Windows 7 as standard, but is it worth paying to upgrade an XP or Vista computer?
If you're using Vista, Windows 7 will make your computer faster, smarter and easier to use. The Home Premium version is supposed to sell for £150, but look online and you may be able to pay less than £70 – an annoying cost if you previously paid for a Vista upgrade, but otherwise reasonable.
If you skipped Vista and stuck with XP, this price is even better – but first be sure to check whether any old peripherals such as scanners and printers will work.

Source

I've had this installed for over a week now and must say it's pretty good. I think the best thing about it is they've fixed the compatibility mode, so I've not had anything that's failed to work yet. Also if something doesn't work you can run the troubleshooting compatibility tool and hey presto it works :)

I was in two minds whether to upgrade my main machine from XP to Win7, but glad I did

7 is good but lets face it folks it should be good, they have had plenty of time to get it right.
Frankly i think "anyone" who bought vista should get a free upgrade to 7 as an apology.
As i said on another thread i have it running on an old clunker and it installed and runs pretty much trouble free.

I won't be rushing out to buy it though as i don't see it as a giant leap for mankind and xp covers all my needs for now.
I only want to change my operating system when i see a genuine step forward and 7 is just xp with a few bits added and a fancy dress on imo..:Cheers:

I won't be rushing out to buy it though as i don't see it as a giant leap for mankind and xp covers all my needs for now.
I only want to change my operating system when i see a genuine step forward and 7 is just xp with a few bits added and a fancy dress on imo..:Cheers:

Or until they stop the security updates for XP

Or until they stop the security updates for XP

Aye mate, i think critical updates are supported to 2014 but hopefully il have banged 7 in before then.lol
I think i still like xp as i did a format a few weeks ago and at the moment its going like a rocket and everything works.
I also stuck a vista trans pack on it with the rocket dock so the vista look with xp speed, perfect for me.:)

Back