Build advice Recommend me a AM3+ Mobo

Ferret

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Lads

Need to pick your brains.

Can anyone recommend me a AM3+ mobo ? Im thinking of using a AMD FX-6300 Six Core CPU. Is this a wise choice ?

ATX Format needs at least 6 sata ports, some USB3 ports and be capable of 8gig of ram and a com port.

Im no gamer so onboard Vid is fine as long as it has a hdmi and dvi outputs.

Im going the AMD route as the CPUs are in the sort of price range im looking at but if you think there is something else out there then please recommend.

I just did that exact spec myself m8, my motherboard was an Asus M5A97 R2.0

Last edited:
I don't think that one is recommended for overclocking, the next model up is though iirc, don't forget to beef up your psu if overclocking ,I run both the mobo and the fx -6300 in stock mode and it hasn't refused anything yet lol

CPU is the Black edition so as i love to mess around id like to overclock it.

Still the M5A97 tick's all other boxes.

I used to use an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx motherboard, it was a great board, deffo one of the best am3+ boards out there, Still got it sitting here as it happens :)

i'd stretch the cpu budget a little though and get an 8350 cpu, they aren't bad chips at all! What do you want the system for? I know you said you don't game, is it just general web browsing etc? I re-read your post and am thinking that 6300 wouldn't be a bad choice if its just web browsing your doing.

Last edited:
The FX-6300 works just fine on all games i have thrown at it tbh,dont think there are any games using 8 cores yet,

I did originally plan on getting the 8350 but budget restraints prevented it,still need to get an SSD and a new monitor as well,but will manage till xmas/birthday :)

I used to use an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx motherboard, it was a great board, deffo one of the best am3+ boards out there, Still got it sitting here as it happens :)

i'd stretch the cpu budget a little though and get an 8350 cpu, they aren't bad chips at all! What do you want the system for? I know you said you don't game, is it just general web browsing etc? I re-read your post and am thinking that 6300 wouldn't be a bad choice if its just web browsing your doing.

Not just browsing but def no games just not my bag at all.

Use a lot of video convertors stuff like that i reckon 6 cores will be great and a big upgrade, the ASUS Sabertooth 990fx motherboard tends to lean towrds gaming from what ive just read so maybe a overkill for me. Good spec though with all those sata ports.

Whats do you lads think about the OS hdd SSD obviously the quickest or a Hybrid drive.

Not too concerned about the quicker boot times, more interested in longevity and everyday use.

Deffo put your os and frequent apps on an ssd, whenever I use a PC that's setup on a hdd nowadays I pull my hair out at how sluggish it is lol.

I was excited by the prospect of hybrid drives, until I read a few reviews, they aren't particularly quick at all.

Whats do you lads think about the OS hdd SSD obviously the quickest or a Hybrid drive.

Not too concerned about the quicker boot times, more interested in longevity and everyday use.

Deffo put your os and frequent apps on an ssd, whenever I use a PC that's setup on a hdd nowadays I pull my hair out at how sluggish it is lol.

I was excited by the prospect of hybrid drives, until I read a few reviews, they aren't particularly quick at all.

Yep deffo the SSD m8,

Its probably the biggest bang for buck speed wise,I think also nowadays the longevity is fairly good too

Also with video editing/converting,the more ram the better m8, it would probably be more important than overclocking,

Although after further research that motherboard is actually quite good for clocking, with one guy getting it to 5ghz :)

Also with video editing/converting,the more ram the better m8, it would probably be more important than overclocking,

Although after further research that motherboard is actually quite good for clocking, with one guy getting it to 5ghz :)

Well this is what ive gone with lads.

Kingston 240GB HyperX Fury SATA 6GB/s 2.5" 7mm SSD with Adapter

Asus M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 DDR3 ATX

AMD FX6-6300 AM3+ 3.5GHz 14MB 95W

Kingston 4GB (2 x 4GB) HyperX Fury Red Series 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM

The rest will come from my current PC Graphis card HDD's etc.

Thanks for your help.

Back