Real Classics - Amiga, Commodore 64, Sam Coupe, Spectrum

12bc

Inactive User
Reaction score
Remembering the days way back into my childhood, was the great war between the Commodore and the Spectrum.

I wonder if any of you were sad enough, or indeed old enough to remember these days ? Waiting 5 minutes for a game to load up..... nowadays we're complain if it takes 30 seconds to boot up a pc....

I did find a Spectrum emulator but the problem was it went so fast that it was totally unplayable..... bring back the good old days of Manic Miner, Jet Pac, Sabre Wolf, Atic Atac.....:eater:

yes mate those were the days!!!!! how many times did you smack the tape player when it didnt load!!! anybody remember coin fruit fruit machine for the spectrum £4 top prize wow!!or hard drivin or even spy hunter!!!!

did anyone have a atari 2600???????? my mate has still got one now in box propper antique.

Yep I had a 2600 and just loved pole position, centipede, space invaders..... just like the arcades at the time !

LMAO.. I collect all the old machines, Do you know how hard it is to get a C64.
I have got so far.
PS1, N64, Atari 2600, NES, XBOX, SNES, Mega Drive
I have a few games for each system, But they are becoming harder to track down in good condition.

Do you remember the old reset button on the C64 & Amiga 500.
And yes.. I remember bashing the tape deck when it didnt load.. LOL

Cheers
Aquatic Dreams™

Cheeky

I just moved house and in my new place I set up my Sega Saturn and my PS1 again. Antiques, hey !!

I think some of the games are just classics that you can't put down when you start playing 'em.
: multi :

i used to trade spectrum games on cassette with ppl from all round europe lol. those really were the days, up all night on target renegade. twagged school to play emlyn hughes soccer. oh yes.

: colors1 : colors1 : colors1 : colors1

LMAO.. I collect all the old machines, Do you know how hard it is to get a C64.
I have got so far.
PS1, N64, Atari 2600, NES, XBOX, SNES, Mega Drive
I have a few games for each system, But they are becoming harder to track down in good condition.

Do you remember the old reset button on the C64 & Amiga 500.
And yes.. I remember bashing the tape deck when it didnt load.. LOL

Cheers
Aquatic Dreams™

Ah yes the old Amiga, i still have a 500 and a 3,000 Amiga in the loft! lol with a couple hundred disks with games on and an bus HD for the 500 and an internal HD for the 3,000 but many games didn't play well with the 3000 cause it was too fast! Cannon fodder being one of them lol I had a gadjet to put games into slowmotion so i could win lol.
I think if the Amega was properly invested and developed it would have been a better working system than the PC architecture we have today what with chucking tons of ram at it just to get it to run well lol.
Anyway yes i was an Amiga fan.
Now they are just collecting dust in my loft :( shame.

Clive.

I had a multi processor/co-processer Amiga 1200 and that had the same problem, but it had software on it to slow it down ! I must dig that out of the loft. I had this program call Vista that made 3D landscape pictures and you could then fly through it. This was all in the days way before a 1GHz processors and mpegs, so it took days to do a 30 second 100GB+ fly through ! Great for its time, but nowadays you could probably do similar processing real-time ! Technology, hey !

I did have a ZX81 that was classic - 3D monster maze was really good in its time. Then they did some hi-res games JetMan (a rip off of jet pack). Of course I say hi-res in its loosest terms because hi-res was only speccy resolution in black and white (240*128) !:eater:

The Speccy was the best. I remember typing in games code from magazines only for someone to trip over the power cable and zap it all.

My first two games were Football Manager (brilliant) and Manic Miner (20 levels of madness).

I can still picture the colours of the loading bars.....Ah, the joys of it.

does any1 know of a place for amiga emulators,id love to get hold of manic miner and a few of the others classics mentioned in the thread

cannon fodder is still quality i love the basic graphics

i have a spectrum still!! and C64 and atari, ive just kept them all from wen i was a kid! well still am but yano!!:)

even master system with alex the kid built in haha classic!

i used 2 have a NES till my lil cuz came round n fort it wud be funny 2 stick a peice of toast in it :( but i seen them in gamestation for about £50 with 6 games!

planning on havin a games room in my own house full of old school computers and stuff so u can just turn them on n play!!!

Anyone remember the curse of the Spectrum: "R-Tape loading error!!"

After waiting ages to load game (probably copied by yr mates dads tape-tape), watching the loading screen gradually appear.... Then "R tape loading error!!!" just befor it would have finished. You would adjust the volume and tone controls then try again.
Just before the end same would happen! It would take ages to get it rite! Back2skool was the worst game I had for this.

Amigas were awesome!!!

does any1 know of a place for amiga emulators,id love to get hold of manic miner and a few of the others classics mentioned in the thread

cannon fodder is still quality i love the basic graphics

UAE is the best amiga emulator, I think ther is a version for PDA's about too! I had a play getting it going on my phone, it worked, but there was a prolem with the keyboard, and I didn't have time to try and sort it.

search in google.

I got a ZX Spectrum 128 +3 with the floppy drive, you could still load tapes by using a phono lead to a tape player.
I had a Multiface for it from Romantic Robot, a device you plug in the back of the speccy, you could use it to directly enter "pokes" into games for various cheats extra lives, unlimited ammo etc.. You could also load a game from tape and dump it to a floppy disk using the multiface. You could then load the game of floppy in future, brilliant no more waiting for tapes to load, only problem is you couldnt use it for multi-load games like double dragon...I use to hate it when you let the tape run too far then you to rewind and try and find the next level load point..lol

Still got my Amiga 1200 and Amiga A500 with rare pcmcia memory card from Austria. Been about four years since I have used them. Use to have ZX80, Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Commodore Plus / 4 (my favourite).

Rainbow Island was my favourite i was very young though. Can just mind trying to get as far up as i could before the water caught you. Also hotrod racing not sure if thats the correct name. Use to be on raised tracks and if you went off your car went flying to the ground below.

The best spectrum in my opinion is the little 48k with the rubber keyboard, I remember I was about 14 at the time and my mum acted as a sponsor for me while I whent into radio rentals to buy one of these brand new £150 bought on hp with the free games box set, it had like chess, scrabble, chequered flag, survival, make a chip, horace goes skiing. Hobbit I used to spend hours on that but the rubber keys on this unit, thats what it was all about it was class especially when it came to playing games like hyper sports and daley thompsons. The platform games where great too, maninc miner, loading the games did take its time but it was worth the wait. In those days if you had a twin cassette deck you was laughing all the games you could copy. still got it along with a load of other oldie consoles in the attick, I think i will stop now or I'll end up talking about them all.

Last edited:
Back