Rangers FC Thread

Winter's World Featuring Falkirk v Rangers

Top flight SFL team Falkirk kick off their Ramsden's Cup tie against Third Division minnows Rangers on Tuesday night.

Parked up within a couple of minute's walk of the ground, Timothy looking out of his bedroom window in a hooped shirt did not auger well for the safety of our cars outside the flats though. He must have thought a drugs deal was going down as first Brian arrived from Glasgow with a package and cash exchanged hands, then another car pulled up and a package was passed onto Craig and more cash exchanged hands.

It was actually a framed signed Larson shirt for a Celtic friend of mine. Still we left the car more in hope than expectation that it would still have windows when we returned.

jeff winter
The Bears are having a party. Celebration time as the players congratulate the goal machine that is Andy Little after he scored the winning goal.

A trip to Scotland usually means a laugh with the Leven Lads, this time though it was a very brief meeting, as they were all seated in the main stand and we were behind the goal. Cash should have exchanged hands in return for the tickets, unfortunately I walked away without paying, a complete oversight but maybe method in my madness. If he wants his money he's going to have to come up with the goods for Berwick on Sunday!

My senility is increasing as I continue not to recognise people. In my defence I meet so many Rangers fans at so many different venues it isn't easy, but I am embarrassed as people speak to me and it is obvious I can't recall exactly where I last saw them.

Two examples in a couple of minutes, as one Ger whose B&B I had stayed in when I spoke to a RSC in Hill of Beath and another I had been drinking with in Valencia both treated me like long lost brothers and it was clear they had to help me with identification. It is something I really feel guilty about but added to my worsening state of mind it really does become hard for me to remember everybody. Mind you if they had short skirts and big tits I would definitely remember them. The minds a funny thing, isn't it?

jeff winter
Just how would these teams survive without Rangers travelling support? Their main stand half full of Bears, not forgetting the away end behind the goal!!

Plenty of empty seats alongside of us, but they filled up as the totally inadequate turnstiles finally let the away supporters in. Again it was a guessing game working out who was playing number 2 and 5. Squad numbers certainly do help, along with names on the back of shirts and why the SFL don't allow it is beyond me.

This was obviously going to be a major task with a game away to a SFL giant. Surely a minnow from Division Three couldn't hope to stay in the cup, could they??

Seriously though Falkirk do get the ball down and play and have pace and like every team that plays Rangers they know its their Cup Final and chase and close down with vigour. That said, Rangers had the first real chance of the game and had Andy Little been on the other side of the field the lino might have seen the tug back that would have seen the hosts reduced to ten men.

In fairness to Callum Murray he could not possibly see it from his position. We were lucky not to fall behind as a cross went agonisingly close to being turned home.

jeff winter
They are only here to see the Rangers. The home support must be boycotting games against lower league opposition as there are plenty of empty seats!

Boringly Ian Black is going to be the target of opposing supporters and shock horror he managed to get through ninety minutes without getting booked. A brilliant strike from the Little goal machine gave the Rangers half time/Rangers full time backers a boost.

Unfortunately my betting on the night was not profitable. Only one goal and no late one did my dough in. As the goals flowed at the Riverside and news filtered through that them lot were winning in Sweden the second half petered out. Never really in danger but not turning possession into goals or indeed chances.

Kevin Kyle came on and the free kick count suddenly increased. The Goian free back four were rarely troubled, the slow motion Sand Dancer was the nearly man again. But come on, better than last year and a major giant-killing act was complete.

jeff winter
Not satisfied with several bottles of cheap but nourishing lager, Cameron enjoys his own 'special' coke, one part coke three parts whisky!

As we left the ground a local passed me on the mobile to his mates. "There was plenty of empty seats in the away end, think some of their fans boycotted the game," he reported. **** off you clown, yet again a sparsely populated ground was boosted, along with their finances, by half of the attendance being made up by visiting supporters. They don't want us, they certainly don't like us, but they most certainly do NEED us. Any doubts ask their bank managers!

Only the boringly slow exit from the roads surrounding the stadium marred a swift getaway but that was tolerated as confirmation of Boro's victory arrived. 205 miles later, Cameron dropped off and home for 1.30am, turned on Sky to watch Boro's goals which were all crackers. Only down side was watching this scruffy long haired bloke talking about his goal!

jeff winter
Parked up on Tuesday night within a short walk of the Falkirk stadium.

We shouldn't count our chickens, but assuming Rangers get to the final of the Ramsden's Cup I wonder where they will play the Final? Sporting integrity and a neutral ground or perhaps Hampden Park, purely because it's a SFL ground and oh yes, it holds 52,000!

Wednesday morning and confirmation that tickets for Berwick had been secured. Result!!!

Looks like sheep lovers will be 1st to go
And they want to know who voted NO
In secret lol
Wait sound familiar? Karma ya ****s

Aberdeen Chairman Stewart Milne has given his initial reaction to Aberdeen City Council's decision to vote against the continuation of the Calder Park sports complex development.

"Disappointment and frustration do not come close to how my colleagues and I are feeling right now.

"As was made crystal clear, the Calder Park development has been designed as part of the master planning exercise to be completely integral with the new AFC stadium at Loirston and this decision has effectively also killed off that development.

"What makes the turn of events even more galling is that the potential alternative use of Calder Park proposed by the current administration has already been confirmed as a non-starter by both the Scottish Football Association and sportscotland and any sensible minded person must surely question what exactly the motivation behind this decision is.

"We also note that the Tories and Independents voted with Labour which confirms our earlier concerns about cross party whip being invoked.

"Without wishing to scaremonger in any way, the implications of this completely illogical verdict could have major implications for both AFC and indeed Cove Rangers and right now, the Board require some time to discuss both the consequences of the judgement and what our next move is likely to be."

lol so tell us mr Stewart Milne why is it you want to move, is it cos your going to build on the prime land that aberdeen play football on now ?
Looks like sheep lovers will be 1st to go
And they want to know who voted NO
In secret lol
Wait sound familiar? Karma ya ****s

Aberdeen Chairman Stewart Milne has given his initial reaction to Aberdeen City Council's decision to vote against the continuation of the Calder Park sports complex development.

"Disappointment and frustration do not come close to how my colleagues and I are feeling right now.

"As was made crystal clear, the Calder Park development has been designed as part of the master planning exercise to be completely integral with the new AFC stadium at Loirston and this decision has effectively also killed off that development.

"What makes the turn of events even more galling is that the potential alternative use of Calder Park proposed by the current administration has already been confirmed as a non-starter by both the Scottish Football Association and sportscotland and any sensible minded person must surely question what exactly the motivation behind this decision is.

"We also note that the Tories and Independents voted with Labour which confirms our earlier concerns about cross party whip being invoked.

"Without wishing to scaremonger in any way, the implications of this completely illogical verdict could have major implications for both AFC and indeed Cove Rangers and right now, the Board require some time to discuss both the consequences of the judgement and what our next move is likely to be."

Snobs' Law: Criminalising Football Fans in an Age of Intolerance: Amazon.co.uk: Stuart Waiton: Books

The Strange Rise of Anti-Sectarianism

By Dr Stuart Waiton

To many ordinary football fans in Scotland, especially but not exclusively the Old Firm fans, the ‘war’ against sectarianism in football seems utterly bizarre. For these fans, especially the older fans, five years in prison for singing a song is unfathomable. More than this, the very fact that a song at a football match can lead to your arrest is treated with complete incomprehension. Nevertheless, this is the state of play today. In Scotland at least, much of the criminalisation of football fans has come in the guise of the fight against sectarianism.

Anti-sectarianism has become part of the fabric of life in Scotland, not just in politics, law, and football, but also in education. In schools, anti-sectarianism is now described as something that is at the heart of the new Curriculum for Excellence. ‘Education,’ the Scottish government notes, ‘can play a pivotal role in challenging sectarian attitudes and religious intolerance’. As such, anti-sectarian initiatives are crucial for developing ‘informed responsible citizens’.

It is not only children who need awareness training about sectarianism. In prisons this attempt to develop ‘positive attitudes’ was given a boost in 2011 when the funding for anti-sectarian training of prisoners was doubled. The success of this re-education process would be judged by illustrating the changed behaviour of those receiving the training. For example, prisoners would be encouraged to understand that cracking sectarian jokes was harmful, something that it was claimed had been successful in 50 percent of cases so far (Scotland on Sunday 25th September 2011). By November of 2011 it was announced that anti-sectarian training would also be available for the staff of the Scottish Parliament (Herald on Sunday 20th November 2011).

To be against sectarianism is a new norm in Scottish society, an unquestioned good, something that can unproblematically become part of school curriculums and the training of prisoners, even parliamentary staff. Sectarianism is also something that all politicians in parliament oppose and indeed something that has come to be vocally denounced by Scottish governments for the last decade. As Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Conservative leader explained at a debate in parliament, every single one of her MSPs is opposed to sectarianism.

At one level, opposition to sectarianism can be seen as a good thing. But to understand what is going on, we have to ask why now? Why and how has being against sectarianism become the new moral absolute, the new good, and something that the authorities feel needs to become part and parcel of all of our education?

Looking back at press coverage about sectarianism and the Old Firm from the early 1990s, what is fascinating is that the problem of Old Firm sectarianism was barely mentioned until 1997. Sectarianism at Old Firm games was simply not a political or significant pubic debating point mentioned in the Scottish broadsheets before this time. From only two articles on the subject in 1992 and 1993, in the latter part of the 1990s there were around 40 articles each year on the Old Firm and sectarianism. There was then a doubling of the number of articles in 2001 and a peak of interest in 2002 with 117 articles on the subject. Old Firm sectarianism remained of some significance until 2006 and then declined. In 2011 following the SNP’s campaign a new high of almost 200 articles were written about this ‘problem’ – one hundred times more articles than had been written in 1992.

What is most interesting about the rise and fall of interest in this issue was that it was not any rise in sectarianism that created it, but rather it was the rise in anti-sectarianism as a political, public and campaigning issue that generated the interest in sectarianism and the Old Firm. One way to describe this could be to say that the behaviour of fans did not change, what changed was the behaviour of the political elite. In essence, the Scottish authorities became less tolerant of Old Firm fans’ behaviour. From an issue that attracted little or no political interest, it became one of the most campaigned around issues in Scotland.

Aspects of this change can be witnessed by studying the changing attitudes of individuals. One example of this change can be seen in the approach taken to Old Firm sectarianism by the celebrated Scottish sports writer, Graham Spiers. Writing in the Scotland on Sunday back in 1996, Spiers challenged the exaggerated idea of bigoted football fans in an article entitled, ‘Glasgow’s sectarian image doesn’t bear close scrutiny’ (Scotland on Sunday 14th January 1996).

Insightfully observing the middle class preoccupation to go on and on about sectarianism, Spiers notes that: ‘In Glasgow, in the pubs and wine bars and especially around the hearths of the chattering classes, you wonder if we can't let go of the tough subject-matter of bigotry. You wonder if some of us would feel stripped naked if we couldn't continually hark on about this "hate-filled" city of ours. For a community that has made great strides in softening the divide, too many of us crave the expression of a bygone era.’

His own colleagues in the press were his next target of attack as he explained how, ‘We lay thick the heaving vocabulary of hate and venom and rancour, and before you know it word is back on the streets of the further disfigurement of society wherever Rangers and Celtic meet’. Spiers then outlined very well the myth and reality of Old Firm sectarianism behaviour: ‘There is a richly-titillating, but utterly empty, ritual about much of the Old Firm environment today. Remarkable and unremarkable men, who have good jobs and bad and who couldn't practice bigotry if they tried, nonetheless get swept into the firmament of these occasions. Before they know it they are hollering their heads off about the Queen or the Pope or both.’

Many of these people work together, drink together, play their five-a-side football in bantering friendship together, but for the Old Firm, for 90 minutes of screaming, they take choir stalls at opposite ends of the ground. Some of us who feel the fiery indignation well up within us misunderstand this aspect of contemporary Glasgow life.

Spiers mocks the English who take the Old Firm fans at their word before ridiculing the idea that there is a serious problem of violence between these fans. Having asked Strathclyde Police for the arrest figures for these ‘hate-filled’ encounters he found that only 24 people were arrested. These are, ‘stupendously paltry statistics’, he pointed out, ‘for peoples supposedly needing to tear the skin off each other’. The police officer giving Spiers these statistics even pointed out that, ‘A Rangers-Celtic game can sometimes be like a Sunday picnic’.

Turn the clock forward fifteen years and Graham Spiers is found at the Justice Committee debate on the Offensive Behaviour Bill supporting the criminalisation of Old Firm ‘sectarian’ songs. No longer prepared to tolerate (if disagree with) Billy Boys or IRA songs, Spiers asks, ‘Do you want to live in a country where thousands of people can shout ‘F’ the Pope?’. Spiers answer was that he did not and that was why he was supporting the Offensive Behaviour Bill. These songs, he continued, are ‘downright discrimination and prejudice’ and should therefore be made illegal. By 2011, Graham Spiers felt that these men who couldn’t practice bigotry if they tried, who worked together and drank together, whose bantering friendship meant that violence between them was stupendously paltry, should now be arrested for the songs they sang! One can only assume that the infectious ‘chattering classes’ harking on about our ‘hate-filled’ city, backed up by journalists’ vocabulary of ‘hate and venom’ had helped to disfigure Mr Spiers' understanding of a city’s image that in the past simply ‘didn’t bear close scrutiny’. Back in 1996 it seems that the hype about sectarianism and violence at Old Firm games was seen as nonsense by Graham Spiers. By 2011, this ‘Sunday picnic’ was facing the full wrath of the state. These games had become understood as a cause of domestic violence, a context where the police had ‘grown wearily accustomed to weeding out killers’ and a poisonous milieu that shamed Scotland. With the support of Spiers, a law that could imprison these fans for up to five years for their ‘sectarian’ behaviour was soon to be passed.

It is worth reiterating, the rise of anti-sectarianism did not emerge because of a rise in sectarian behaviour, or of sectarian violence; yet anti-sectarianism became a significant political, media, policing and legal matter in Scotland. As we have seen, the rise of interest in sectarianism has absolutely nothing to do with the behaviour of people on the terraces or on the streets. It has, on the contrary, everything to do with the activities and rhetoric of the Scottish elites and their establishment of a virtual industry of anti-sectarianism. It appears that the ‘chattering class’s’ moralising hatred of the Old Firm has taken centre stage.

Dr Stuart Waiton is lecturer in sociology at the University of Abertay Dundee. His new book ‘Snob’s Law: The Criminalisation of Football Fans in an Age of Intolerance’ is out now.

Evening Times

THE SPL has finally distributed the delayed broadcasting and sponsorship money it owed to the 12 top-flight clubs.
EXCLUSIVE By MICHAEL GRANT
Around £350,000 per team left the governing body's bank account yesterday and is due to arrive with the clubs today. The £1.8 million owed to the Scottish Football League as part of the annual settlement agreement, which was also late, has been paid.

Normally each club receives almost £700,000 at this point but the reduction in television money and the fact not all of the commercial income has yet been received by the SPL means clubs must make do with only half the usual sum for now.

The money was due in at the start of August, but the SPL admitted to a cash-flow problem and even told clubs there was no way of knowing when they would receive their funds.

The upheaval was due to Rangers being removed from the SPL and the subsequent uncertainty and need to

redraw television and sponsorship contracts, especially with Sky and ESPN.

Even after those deals were done there was a delay in receiving the money before all the paperwork was signed, but that has now happened and funds have started to arrive.

The next batch of payments are due in January but, because the August figure was so much lower than usual, that is likely to be reviewed and clubs should receive funds sooner than that.

BBC Scotland can reveal that a Dubai-based businessman is currently the single largest shareholder in Rangers.

Arif Naqvi, chief executive of private equity firm Abraaj Capital, owns just under 18% after agreeing to invest £2m back in June.

Naqvi is the man behind Blue Pitch Holdings but BBC Scotland understands that he has a personal holding in the club.

Rangers boss Ally McCoist also owns a stake in the club.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is expected to announce his £1m investment next week, securing around 9% of the club.

The way was paved for that investment after Rangers ripped up their deal with retailers JJB Sports in favour of Ashley's Sports Direct company.

Charles Green took control of the club on 14 June, announcing his intention to secure a number of investors from across the globe.

He has always insisted that no one individual will own more than 15%.

Other investors include Imran Ahmad and Richard Hughes from Zeus Capital who own 9.8% each,

Gers boss McCoist has also bought into the consortium and owns a share of about 4.5%.

Scottish-based businessman Ian Hart, who was part of the Blue Knights group, has a shareholding of 1.3%.

The shares will be diluted though after Green launches an IPO share issue allowing fans to buy into the club.

Pmsl fighting amongst themselves .
Ps that was water they were getting
Sprayed with lol
I heard the @@@ fans from dingwall were all fighting with the travelling @@@ for the way they were disrespecting their home town,then as we saw the cops split it up with pepper spray..the clip looked a lot tamer than i heard..either way good enough for the coonts wherever they are from!! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Exclusive: Rangers to be fined upwards of £10 million.

The original aim of this blog was to detail my efforts to raise awareness regarding Rangers being stripped of titles by the SPL. My angle was that in by doing so they’d essentially be admitting liability of negligence and could in turn be held accountable.

I’ve spent countless hour researching, telephoning, emailing and letter writing and following every lead I can, and it has produced some interesting results. Non more so than a meeting with a current employee of Harper Macleod LLP in a well known bar in Glasgow’s West End.

I can’t reveal their identity for obvious reasons however I was convinced of their sincerity.
Rangers to be fined upwards of £10 million:

On the 14th of February 2012 Rangers Football Club went into administration, the fallout from which has been well documented. The Scottish Premier League (Limited) so far has been hit the hardest by Rangers exit coupled with the failure of one Stewart Regan SFA chief to ensure their passage into Scottish Footballs 2nd tier.

The Scottish Premier League (Limited) now themselves stand on the brink of insolvency. Reports persist that an agreement has been struck with SKY but as of yet no concrete details of the deal have yet to surface, Neil Doncaster only managing to reveal that the TV money is “down slightly”…hardly convincing. Media speculation estimate the renegotiated deal to have cost the SPL £17 million in lost revenue.

Recently the SPL have been unable to pay their own clubs and only today have managed to pay 50% of what is owed.

The recent rumblings over money owed to Dundee United Football Club, a relatively paltry sum of around £30,000 that the SPL agreed to pay only serves to further highlight how deep the financial crisis is.

How then, do you ask, does the current EBT investigation fit into all this?

On 12 June 2012 Rangers Football Club were unable to exit administration, a CVA having been rejected by HMRC. Not even a full week later do the SPL proclaim “Rangers have a case to answer” on the issue of duel contracts. Scottish football at the time is in complete disarray, with a controversial vote on Rangers being re-admitted to the SPL due to take place on the 4th of July you would think the SPL have bigger things to worry about than alleged wrong doings regarding undeclared payments?

The vote itself was a foregone conclusion, Stewart Regan saw to that by rallying support against Rangers and sensationally threatening to block any re-entry by refusing to grant a license.

Then came the shameless doom-mongering from both Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster with claims of “social unrest” and a “slow and lingering death” of Scottish football as pressure was put on SFL chairmen to vote Rangers straight into Division 1. This culminated in a leaked email sent by Stewart Regan on the 23rd of June to a small number of football officials and lawyers.

Ultimately though the SFL chairmen were not to be bullied and voted Rangers into Division 3 and warned of any attempt to circumvent the vote would be met with all out civil war.

This left the SPL is a sticky situation, Rangers were gone and with them any hope of maintaining the lucrative SKY tv deal. How then do the SPL claw this money back and pull themselves from certain bankruptcy?

Well you start by first blackmailing Rangers and the SFL into handing over their TV rights to be packaged up and sold on for greater profit to the SPL. This however doesn’t even begin to cover the lost millions from the SKY tv deal.

Enter Lord Nimmo

The SPL stand on the edge of a financial abyss yet one thing has remained at the top of their list of priorities, the investigation into Rangers use of EBT’s. With such pressing financial concerns you would think a long and costly probe into Rangers would be the last thing you would need. Thousands of pounds in fee’s for the services of Harper MacLeod and Lord Nimmo and co when you can’t afford to pay your own football clubs hardly seems like sound financial planning does it? Even should Rangers be found guilty and stripped of titles what gain the SPL?

Exclusive:

I can reveal that the SPL endgame is very simple and one we’ve all come accustomed to, blackmail and extortion. The SPL investigation into Rangers is a foregone conclusion that will ultimately lead to the club being fined upwards of £10 million.

My source from Harper MacLeod had this to say on the matter:

“…the investigation into Rangers is has already been decided but due process has to be seen to have taken place. In the position of the SPL you certainly don’t involve a heavyweight such as Lord Nimmo without being sure things are going your way…

…the SPL aren’t at all interested in Rangers titles, what they are interested in however is the potential to recoup 10 years worth of prize money…

…the SPL care of Lord Nimmo will announce Rangers guilt and a fine totaling between £10-20 million pounds will issued. The initial fine will be overinflated as Rangers will inevitably appeal.

This will cause a Mexican standoff between Rangers, the SPL, the SFA and FIFA. If Rangers take their case to CAS then there’s a strong chance of the fine just being reduced. If they take their appeal outside of football as they did with the transfer ban then they will incur the wrath of FIFA who have little enough patience as it is on this matter. If Rangers refuse to pay citing that the newco aren’t liable for the damages then the SPL will threaten to refuse entry on the grounds that Rangers newco agree’d to pay the debt of the oldco…

…one things for sure though this saga isn’t finished just yet…

Bullying, Blackmailing, and Extortion.

There you have it, the end game of the SPL revealed. To continue their existence they must plug a 10 million pound black hole. The Rangers EBT case that I maintain is at best a clerical error is a convenient excuse to extort yet more money from Rangers to fill the SPL coffers.

No doubt there will be many skeptics calling this fantasy but this is what I have found. Believe it or do not believe it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
sprayz.gif

Express

ALLY McCOIST insists Rangers do not want a helping hand on their climb back to the top of Scottish football.

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan said league reconstruction could be in place for next season.

And the move could see Rangers playing in the second tier of Scottish football 12 months ahead of schedule.

McCoist, however, would not want to see Rangers fast-tracked through the leagues on the back of reconstruction and wonders if Scottish football’s authorities are using their demotion to the Third Division to push through change.

McCoist said: “The only thing you can say in the defence of reconstruction is that it has been on the agenda since before our trouble, so there’s a cop-out there. But I think we are all kidding ourselves on if we don’t think it helps Scottish football – us moving back up the ladder, that is.

“I don’t think there is a team in the country apart from ourselves who would get nearly 50,000 against East Stirling last Saturday and things like that obviously help Scottish football. I would argue that is a fact.

Are Rangers being used now? That’s open to debate
Ally McCoist

“Are Rangers being used now? That’s open to debate.

“I can understand if some of the fans thought we wanted our medicine and we are now taking it and we want to go through the leagues. I can understand that totally.

“We’ve got to assume we have to win three promotions.Unless someone tells us otherwise that’s the way we’ve got to do it.

“We’ve got to get out of three divisions to get back to where we belong – or where we feel we belong.

“It would possibly help us if league reconstruction was contemplated, and time will tell on that, but we’re certainly planning for the long haul.”

Regan has set up a working group, which includes representatives from the SPL and SFL, to devise a new structure.

McCoist hopes Rangers will be involved in any discussions.

He said: “I would hope that our representatives would be there in some form.

“League reconstruction has been spoken about for a long time. Now would be as good an opportunity as ever before to have league reconstruction because of what has been happening.

“But it would be a little bit unfair for me to make any comment if our club is going to benefit from it.

“We are down in SFL3 to hopefully can go to SFL2 and then SFL1 unless anything otherwise happens.”

Terry Butcher in a radio Scotland pre match interview thanked local businesses for their patience and understanding as they waited for the club to settle their debts with them. He commented that the small businesses had been easier to deal with than the larger organisations, thanking locals for their support at this difficult time. Judging by this statement and the empty seats in the home section it looks like difficult times are in store for this club. As winter comes in will they be able to afford to run under soil heating, floodlights etc. A few postponements due to bad weather may be enough to finish them off.

not long now till j settles the book on the spl
headquarters in Lithuania, Gintaras Ugianskis, chairman of the board and chief executive officer, said: “At the meeting of the Board of AB Ukio bankas as of August 20, 2012, a resolution was taken to abandon plans in Edinburgh and to terminate the activities of the Edinburgh branch.”

He said the reason was “to improve the operating performance” of the bank.

Former Hearts chairman Lord Foulkes said he hoped the decision to close the bank branch would not lead to a pull-out on the football front.

Mr Romanov has made no secret of his frustration with Scottish football and the media and insiders say he would be ready to listen to 
offers to buy Hearts if they were to arise. His main sporting passion nowadays is said to be his basketball team in Lithuania.

Lord Foulkes said: “Although he announced about a year ago that he was prepared to sell Hearts and no-one has come forward, he has kept the club going. There have been no stories recently about late payment of wages, he has not been signing players with big salaries, local management are given a fair degree of autonomy in day-to-day running of the club and we have progressed.”

The branch, in rented premises at 10 Castle Street, is the bank’s only UK office and employs four staff.

Ukio Bankas first announced its plans to open an Edinburgh branch in 2006 and it began renting the Castle Street premises in 2007, but was unable to open for business because of difficulties obtaining a banking licence. The obstacles were eventually overcome and it began operating in January.

The decision to close comes just weeks after the bank’s losses soared by 8.5 per cent.

Graham Birse, managing director of Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce, said the bank closure was unfortunate.

He said: “We want all inward investment to Edinburgh to succeed. However, the banking climate at the moment is extremely difficult.

“We’re not privy to the business information the board has, but Ukio has obviously found the cost of the operation in relation to its performance makes it unsustainable.”

He said it was always hard for banks to break into new markets. “It is difficult for international banks without any brand presence in the consumer marketplace to establish themselves. People tend to go to names they recognise.”

The city council’s deputy economic development convener, Gordon Munro, said: “The closure decision is disappointing, but not surprising in view of the retrenchment that is going on in the banking sector at the moment. Whole countries are having to look at themselves. This is just part of that ripple from central 
Europe.”

Good day all another soggy wet morning uffa.

The whole point here is that the demise of RFC PLC was POLITICALLY supported...and that is NOT ON its bad enough RFC a victim of mass theft

READ IT YOURSELVES pls email me your views I will publish my letter to DP and Court of Sessions this week

RFC PLC £10,859,479....Less many invented expenses including fees but anyway less £8,534,134 RESULT PLUS £2,325,345... https://twitter.com/DEVILSADVOKAT/status/239625326429347840/photo/1

And what is more annoying is the frigging AFFRONT that DP have no shame in openely displaying the figures! That is because the RFC PLC..

Where the F.... is the insolvency? I was correct there was no insolvency and that is the balance sheet DURING insolvency imagine.....situation received and CONTINUES to RECEIVE HIGH POLITICAL SUPPORT which very soon I gonna expose as this is an affront to shareholders

Looking at balance sheet...waste disposal £58,742 jeez that is an awaful lot of shite to have to pay for...these people crazy

Cash collect £3,161.....Pension Contributions £107,802 (FOR CW and two other pension policies) absolutely crazy...just inventing expenses

Charity match cost £193,110....some charity can a club in admin afford charity??? proves not insolvent otherwise it SEEKS charity

Back