Rangers 1 - 0 Bursaspor

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Steven Naismith's predatory strike saw an impressive Rangers see off Bursaspor to record their first Champions League victory in 14 attempts.

The forward, who was superb throughout, broke the deadlock when he flicked the ball home after Kirk Broadfoot headed on Steven Whittaker's pass.

Naismith and Kenny Miller spurned chances to double their lead at Ibrox.

Rangers survived a penalty scare when Lee McCulloch appealed to handle Sercan Yildirim's shot but held on to win.

Smith kept faith with the side and 5-4-1 formation that emerged from Old Trafford with a point in their opening match in Group C.

Rangers had gone 13 matches in the Champions League without a victory - their last being away to Lyon in October 2007 - and were keen to halt that run.

Bursaspor's number 10 Volkan Sen was at the centre of much of the visitors' early play but, despite some dangerous crosses into the box, they lacked a cutting edge.

Maurice Edu saw a shot deflected wide for a Rangers corner as the hosts sought an early breakthrough.

Bursaspor responded in the eighth minute when McCulloch lost possession, but Yildirim's shot from the edge of the area lacked the direction to trouble Allan McGregor.

Rangers came agonisingly close to taking the lead after 12 minutes when goalkeeper Dimitar Ivankov - a bag of nerves all night - flapped at Steven Davis's free-kick and Madjid Bougherra's shot was deflected over by Omer Erdogan.

Whittaker drilled a long cross-field pass to Broadfoot and his headed flick played in Naismith who stabbed the ball past Ivankov.

Buoyed by his goal, Naismith found space down the left-hand side moments later, and he forced another corner as Rangers looked to double their lead.

McCulloch headed wide of Ivankov's right-hand post as the Bursaspor defence creaked under a constant wave of Rangers pressure.

Bursaspor left-back Gokcek Wederson caused a moment of alarm in the Rangers ranks when his thunderbolt of a free-kick from 30 yards deflected off the wall and forced a superb save from McGregor.

After being hemmed into their own half for the opening 25 minutes, the Turks began to venture into Rangers territory with more confidence.

But it was the hosts who threatened once again when Wederson's slip allowed Rangers to launch a lightening counter attack.

Naismith lacked his earlier composure as he sent his effort wide.

Substitute Federico Insua, on for the injured Ivan Ergic, played a neat one-two and his header from 15 yards out was well-saved by McGregor.

Miller spurned a superb chance to double Rangers' lead moments after the re-start when Davis and Edu combined to send the striker clear but his low shot was saved by Ivankov.

Bursaspor hit back immediately and McCulloch appeared to block Yildirim's low shot with his arm but referee Serge Gumienny was having none of it.

Edu then dragged a shot just wide from 18 yards, much to the frustration of the Rangers supporters inside Ibrox.

Sen, who was becoming more influential in Bursaspor's ranks, darted in between gaps in the Rangers defence as the visitors searched for an equaliser.

The tricky number 10 saw a shot deflected wide by Sasa Papac as the Turks forced a number of corners.

Rangers, in a tactic they have used expertly away from home in Europe, appeared comfortable to soak up pressure and hit their opponents on the break.

Sen and Insua tried in vain to carve out an equaliser as Rangers made it four points from six in an impressive start to their Group C campaign.

good result ..i would of took 4 points in the first 2 games before the start hope rangers can keep it up,,i would like to see man-utd and rangers going through to the next stage:Clap:

Jesus !!!! Good luck i reckon utd might make it.. Rangers tho pmsfl maybe when not shit :Clap:

Jesus !!!! Good luck i reckon utd might make it.. Rangers tho pmsfl maybe when not shit :Clap:

Typical from a man u fan
Even with the massive cash difference between the spl and the epl you still try get a wee dig.
Well I hope man flu get pumped .

Well done rangers .

Typical from a man u fan
Even with the massive cash difference between the spl and the epl you still try get a wee dig.
Well I hope man flu get pumped .

Well done rangers .

Fair play i was a few singing ciders deep for that post and to be honest ive always had a soft spot for celtic. Apologiies

Back