PSU - Help me choose a new one (£50 max budget)

daveleebond

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just upgraded my GFX card from a 5770 to 5870 and found when running benchmarks like heaven and 3dmark11 the PC either locks up or reboots so I suspect my trusty old Silverstone 400w is not good enough any more, PC runs fine under normal load and PC has be wiped and OS reinstalled.

Used the PSU calc and says I need 382w min, 432w recommended.

The new card uses 2xPCIe 6pin power.

Will be buying from Scan since it's only down the road.

Narrowed it to these (don't want anything too powerful)

Antec 520W Neo Eco Modular PSU 80Plus Bronze
BeQuiet Pure Power L7 530W Power Supply BN106
OCZ ZS Series 550W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply

or any suggestions within my budget.

Not really a fan of Antec or OCZ PSU's, mainly because I've never used them and BeQuiet I've never heard of.

If I had to choose between the two, probably the Antec simply because it's modular (the 4% Eff isn't really going to make a lot of difference)

Personally I would try to stretch to maybe the £60 range or go for a corsair. Had two of these now and they have lasted (HX620 and TX750M), but its down to preference. I also try to use modular where I can to save a myriad of cables, but that does add in extra cost.

Corsair CMPSU-600CXv2 Builder Series 600W Power Supply (PSU) - CMPSU-600CXv2UK - Scan.co.uk

Corsair Gaming Series GS 600 CMPSU-600G UK 600W Power Supply (PSU) - CMPSU-600GUK - Scan.co.uk

If your concerned about power usage, they regulate what is used so it's not going to use everything that's available unless under complete load, but you do need some headroom.

Remember a PSU is for life...not just for Christmas! :licka:

Last edited:
As they have an 80 PLUS Bronze rating the OCZ and Antec are slightly more efficient than the 80 PLUS rated BeQuiet. The BeQuiet, however, will likely run quieter if sound is an issue.
...(don't want anything too powerful)...
Other than out of your budget, is there any reason why? If your system peaks at 432W, a 1000W PSU will draw the same amount of power as a 500W if that is all that is needed. It will probably run cooler in the process and last longer as the capacitors are not under as much load.

Not really a fan of Antec or OCZ PSU's, mainly because I've never used them and BeQuiet I've never heard of.
I've used and recommended OCZ in the past, and would do in the future. However, I usually use Corsair too.

BeQuiet seem to have appeared on the PSU scene fairly recently, but they've garnered a rep for making quiet PSUs.

Last edited:
As they have an 80 PLUS Bronze rating the OCZ and Antec are slightly more efficient than the 80 PLUS rated BeQuiet. The BeQuiet, however, will likely run quieter if sound is an issue.

Other than out of your budget, is there any reason why? If your system peaks at 432W, a 1000W PSU will draw the same amount of power as a 500W if that is all that is needed. It will probably run cooler in the process and last longer as the capacitors are not under as much load.

I've used and recommended OCZ in the past, and would do in the future. However, I usually use Corsair.

BeQuiet seem to have appeared on the PSU scene fairly recently, but they've garnered a rep for making quiet PSUs.

well budget, and I just thought it would be OK to just have 100w overhead, probably my phrasing was a bit incorrect.

Sound is not an issue unless the fan is mega loud, will be say at the bottom of a coolermaster silenceo case.

Also not bothered about modular since the current one isn't and the case I have has excellent cable management.

cheers for the replies fellas :)

Back