PS3 NOR Downgrade

mmonster

Inactive User
Reaction score
Has anyone on here downgraded a NOR PS3 before using Progskeet?

I picked a CECH 2103A model yesterday on 4.50 and spent all day today soldering my 1.2 progskeet after I programmed it with the latest bit stream. I'm now trying to dump the NOR but not having much luck. Dumping the CFI seems to work but when I try to read the NOR it just stays on address 0x0.

I know dilly bought all the stuff to downgrade , don`t know if the idle git got around to using it though ;)

Why are you downgrading anyway or did you just fancy the challenge.

I picked a CECH 2103A model yesterday on 4.50 and spent all day today soldering my 1.2 progskeet after I programmed it with the latest bit stream. I'm now trying to dump the NOR but not having much luck. Dumping the CFI seems to work but when I try to read the NOR it just stays on address 0x0.

Yeah just fancied doing something different. My Super Slim is working fine with the 3K3Y but thought having a Slim with cfw would be nice. I kinda of made some progress now, keeps reading NOR up to about 74 - 84% then it freezes. So going to check the solder points again, might even just get an E3 flasher if this fails.

I know dilly bought all the stuff to downgrade , don`t know if the idle git got around to using it though ;)

Why are you downgrading anyway or did you just fancy the challenge.

thank you for the glowing reference david lol, i did get progskeet etc and was going to downgrade my slim but never got round to doing it, used it on 360 instead lol, i no some people had problems with bitstreams and progskeet program running on certain pcs, they brought some qsb out abit ago which might make things abit easier, keep us informed how you get on mmonster as might have ago one day,

I think I will scrap the progskeet idea. Checked all points and making contact, I already got the latest bit stream that was released in July but I know a lot of people just complained about the 1.2 version. I got a 1.1 progskeet but don't fancy removing all those points just to re solder again, so I'm ordering an E3 flasher later tonight.

Update: Removed all wiring and PS3 boots just fine. So definitely ordering an E3 Flasher now. If I get another Slim I might have a go with the old 1.1 progskeet but for now it's a pass.

Last edited:
I've ordered an E3 Flasher full kit along with 2 additional clips and other bits and bobs. Mean while that PS3 is tucked under the bed in pieces, will update once kit arrives and see how it goes that's if I do get time since it's Christmas soon. Have obtained the Samsung multiple console update files so I could update the E3 flasher with it and use it on multiple consoles.

You don't need the full kit mate, the Hard drive bit is only used for when doing dual boot etc. Just use the clip and the mainboard to downgrade, all that's needed and don't forget to dehash your ps3 once your done otherwise the first time you go to another firmware you will semi brick it and will need to solder trisate etc.

I did realise that but thought might as well get it, difference in price was only $12.00. I saw few tutorials but there was no mention of dehashing seeing that I'm going from ofw 4.50 to Regero cfw 4.50 1.1 but I will research this more.

You don't need the full kit mate, the Hard drive bit is only used for when doing dual boot etc. Just use the clip and the mainboard to downgrade, all that's needed and don't forget to dehash your ps3 once your done otherwise the first time you go to another firmware you will semi brick it and will need to solder trisate etc.

I did realise that but thought might as well get it, difference in price was only $12.00. I saw few tutorials but there was no mention of dehashing seeing that I'm going from ofw 4.50 to Regero cfw 4.50 1.1 but I will research this more.

And don't forget to sand down clip, otherwise will not get a valid dump

So I had this little E3 Flasher box arrive last week but finally today got time to take it out, inspect it's contents and go ahead with the installation. Along with 2 additional clips for future flashing of other consoles when needed but the original clip should suffice for few consoles if handled correctly.

15qn.jpg
zbvr.jpg

94j0.jpg

Setup took about 45 minutes, mainly as I got few errors trying to read the NOR which finally were fixed by placing a penny coin between the E3 clip and the cool fan frame. Done 6 dumps, out of which last 3 were all ok. The process of dumping the NOR is a bit lengthy as the E3 will only make one dump at a time. After which you need to remove the Micro SD card and backup the NOR dump onto your PC before erasing the card and replacing it back into the E3 to read the next dump (note I have flashed my E3 with Samsung multi console update.bin file) which means I can use the E3 over and over again to read and write the NOR. If you use the latest update.bin file then it will only work once.

So proceeded to check the NOR dump first with NOR inspector and then with PS3 Flash Tool v4.5. Finally patched the NOR
with PS3 Flash Tool and placed the patched image back onto the Micro SD card ready to be flashed back to the console. Remembering to rename the file to the original one that E3 Flasher uses. Writing to the NOR takes much longer than reading it, approx 12 minutes compared to just 3 or 4 minutes to read it.

y3x3.jpg
8myj.jpg

When applying CFW such as Rogero 4.50 v1.01 make sure to place the fw in the correct PS3 file structure on a USB stick (PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDATE.PUP).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back