Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PS3 Media Server now works with XBOX 360!

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
I was having a shit load of problems with Tversity and playback of 720p .mkv and even some normal divx/xvid dvd rips .avi so after alot of searching I read today that PS3 Media Server has now got XBOX 360 support...

I got rid of Tversity installed PS3 Media Server and so far everything has played back fine without any problems... Obviously the XBOX 360 isnt high on their priorty list but it works much better than Tversity and theres no need to convert files to mp4 etc.

I still think nothing beats XBMC it was just the lack of HD playback which has forced me to move on a bit...

l havent any software ? we have four boxes we all use and the films all backed up on the main pc ( vista ) and all the boxes find the pc and the video folder and l think theres only been the odd dvix that hasnt played

just have to have the firewall off on the main pc thats all and share on

I still think nothing beats XBMC it was just the lack of HD playback which has forced me to move on a bit...

Gotta agree with the above and xbmc, the trouble I have with PS3 media server is, I can't get it to play 5.1 with anything other than .wmv's.

Yeh but does your setup play hd mkv files?

thanks for the reply to my other post mate, i was actually aware that ps3media server worked with the 360 but i only installed a couple of weeks ago tops for my ps3 i had no idea this was new news due to that, but as you say above you cant play mkv files through tversity which was something i never took into account when i was using ps3 media server so thanks mate you woke me up lol, tbh apart from that i really rate tversity, whats the picture quality difference between them both mate is there any differnece for normal avi im now using a banned 360 so that means i have to transcode because i cant download the media codec from live does ps3 media server transcode also if needed, cheers mate

i meant avi's mate when you play a avi without transcoding its better quality compared to when you transcode it but because 1 of my xbox's is banned i have to transcode so i was wondering if ps3 media server has transode options and if it was any better.

sorry smirnoff just realised it wasnt my comment you was replying too.

your hellboy will work no probs m8 because the 360 will play that format and dosent support .mkv so ps3 media server changes the headers i think rather than transcoding it.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Only just come across this media server and want to give it a go but am thick as a brick with this sort of thing!!!

Could somebody give me some help on how to get it working with me xbox 360 please?

Got the software installed but I cant even get it to see the xbox at the mo. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi guys

Only just come across this media server and want to give it a go but am thick as a brick with this sort of thing!!!

Could somebody give me some help on how to get it working with me xbox 360 please?

Got the software installed but I cant even get it to see the xbox at the mo. Any help would be very much appreciated.

could try the info i posted in this thread, some services might be off.

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/204383/

Last edited by a moderator:
ok,

So you have ps3 media server installed and media on share.

when you goto the xbox does it see your pc or the media sever at all?

Thanks for replys m8. Xbox see's pc using the usuall method of streaming via windows media player but not ps3 media server.

I just wish something would allow mkv playback from a NAS, having a PC on all the time to watch stuff just defeats the point I think, might as well just hook the PC up to the TV.

I have both the router firewall and the AVG firewall on my pc both off m8 but still no joy.

ok well only other thing i cant think off just try and only cause it has happened to me a couple of times.

I used to install it as a windows service but after a week or so it would stop showing up on both my ps3 ans 360.

however when i unistall it and re-install it i chose not to install as a service and it has been showing up ever since.

i just have to start it each time i start puter which to be fair aint often. or when i change or add to share directory, refreshing the share dont seem to show up new stuff for some reason.

hope it helps as for now i am out of ideas of what itcould be.

Back