PS3 Hard drive change

blueslimshady

Member ++
Reaction score
Right boys and girls, Just before xmas my old 60g original ps3 gave up on life after 5 long years of service, So i went out and bought the new 12g slimline ps3 thinking this would be enough for me! ive been playing black ops 2 and have just got the new map updates, this bringing me a problem as the hard disk is now full and the ps3 keeps crashing, now i know its a new ps3 so it shouldnt be crashing, only thing i can think of is that its doin it because the hard disk is full, so im thinking of buying a bigger hard disk to upgrade! Has anyone upgraded one of these new machines, if so was it as easy as the " how too's on youtube" lol

Any info greatly appreciated!

Right boys and girls, Just before xmas my old 60g original ps3 gave up on life after 5 long years of service, So i went out and bought the new 12g slimline ps3 thinking this would be enough for me! ive been playing black ops 2 and have just got the new map updates, this bringing me a problem as the hard disk is now full and the ps3 keeps crashing, now i know its a new ps3 so it shouldnt be crashing, only thing i can think of is that its doin it because the hard disk is full, so im thinking of buying a bigger hard disk to upgrade! Has anyone upgraded one of these new machines, if so was it as easy as the " how too's on youtube" lol

Any info greatly appreciated!

i have it was a really easy only thing is you dont get the hard drive caddie but the one from your old may fit mine was 12quid for caddie.

check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_mTCel6dC4

Last edited:
Thanks for that mate, i had seen that video, i just didnt think it was that easy lol, some vids show u needing to downdload the latest firmware to a memory stick to load up once done.

Sound daft, but the hardest part was taking the end cover off, you have to push it in the correct spot ,that took me a while to work out, but once off takes 30 secs to install takes longer to format than install :).

Did you just slot the new hard drive in and format it and away you go, or did u need to install any firmware ?

Did you just slot the new hard drive in and format it and away you go, or did u need to install any firmware ?

just put it in 1 screw holds it in place and when you switch on ps3 it ask you to format it first thing it does, i did mine from new so had no software to copy over.

not sure if you need to install firmware while replacing hard drive on this model, but its easy if you do.

just download the latest firmware from here

Update features (ver 4.31)*-*PlayStation 3, PS3 system software

format a usb stick to fat32

make a folder on it called PS3 (must be uppercase when making folders)

then another folder called UPDATE, inside the PS3 folder

and stick the downloaded firmware in there, and follow the instructions on the ps3

Back