PS3 Fan

ste03

Inactive User
Reaction score
Alright lads, i'v had a ps3 lying around for ages and never plugged it in, finally got round to fixing it (putting in a new bluray laser) and everythings fine but not played any games on it yet ....

Just put in a SD dvd to watch (life on mars s1 lol) and began watching and enabled upscaling which looked good but after about 5 min the ps3 sounded like a jet engine lol

So my question is.... is this normal? just the ps3 under more load thefore generating more heat = fan noise or is the ps3 overheating and i should re-paste the cpu/gpu / add more fans ??

Any input would be much appreciated

Thanks

Ste :D

some are just noisey,i had one for ages that was like a jet engine, thought it was going to ylod on me at any minute but it never did, i couldnt live with the noise tho, ended up selling it and getting the 250gb slim.

but generally speking if the fans kicking in hard like the jet engine then its working harder than normal so i cant see any harm stripping it and doing the thermal ect.. and cleaning the fan and all the vents on the inside.

i just did it with a ylod launch 60gb backwards compat console i got for 45 quid locally.

all up and running fine and quiet as a mouse.

If you have the 40GB version which I know is very noisy anyway. Especially in the summer. They do sound very loud. I have to turn up the volume on the TV.

Try to keep it out and away from other electricals if you can.

John

As said some are noisy, but only so because they're being worked too hard because of clogged up vents or something of the sort, I said to thommohawk the other week that our cousin who had to return a PS3 due to ylod (happened while we were playing fifa) that PS3 fan was going crazy, mine never has, his new one doesn't, and thommohawk's regenerated one doesn't either....at first I thought it was dodgy batch or something, but it seems clear to me now that it's blockage. And probably a prelude to ylod.

As said some are noisy, but only so because they're being worked too hard because of clogged up vents or something of the sort, I said to thommohawk the other week that our cousin who had to return a PS3 due to ylod (happened while we were playing fifa) that PS3 fan was going crazy, mine never has, his new one doesn't, and thommohawk's regenerated one doesn't either....at first I thought it was dodgy batch or something, but it seems clear to me now that it's blockage. And probably a prelude to ylod.

what your saying does sound feasable raven but unfortunately in my case its wrong :(

I bought my ps3 from ebay it was advertised as having ylod but it was the blu drive that didnt work. it was spotless though and was noisy as hell when it felt like it.

sent it off and got a refurb back, it looked new and didnt have a spec of dust anywhere and that roars like a mofo aswell. not always though, at the moment its sat vertically behind my tv which is surprisingly cool round there and it gets quite noisy sure but it still stays quieter than a 360 and hasnt done its little vaccum impression yet lol *touches wood*

I just put it down to being an old 40gb model and the fact they are proberly more sensitive and get hotter than the newer models.

If these are the first gen of PS2 game compatible PS3's then didn't these have more circuitry in them? for the compatibility stuff which could be a reason for them running hotter?

nar ive bought a ylod 60gb ps2 compat one, runs whisper quiet. the only time they make a slightly higher noise in during high load on a game.

id say a good 90% plus that run hot and have fans on full a lot is the thermal compound, you should have seen this ylod one ive just done it virtually evaporated away.

re-did it with arctic silver and its quiet as a mouse.

oh all the shit and fluff inside didnt help either.

@jamesyboyjim, just so you know m8 and for what it's worth mine was/is originally a second hand 40gb unit (had it nearly 2 years now and manually upgraded hdd) and mine is still whisper quiet. So I don't know bud, but mine is a 40gb unit and it's quiet at all times - except for when the blu ray drive is accessing the disc lol. Obviously with it being a 40gb unit it's not backwards compatible neither so it's not got that hardware in it to possibly make it run hotter which I doubt anyway lol. In any case I'm just happy mine's quiet! ;)

Back