PS3 Advice Needed

faisalpandu

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am after a PS3 seen one in ASDA for £310 for console (80GB), pad and game (MG4). I get 10% discount cos i know a friend who works there and laos got £15 voucher so works out in total £264. Is this a good price.

Also wanted to know what is the difference between the 80GB model and 40GB or 60GB model. I have heard that on the 80GB you cannt play ps2 games but on the 40 and 60 you can. Is this true and would i be better off getting the 40 or 60gb model and upgarding the hdd like that or does the 80GB model offer extra features than the 40 and 60GB model

Thanks

yes thats a good price . the 80gb and 40gb are exactly the same spec just different size hard drives and both dont play ps2 games the 60 gb on the other hand plays them but ya will have to look for a second hand one on ebay for one of those as there no longer on sale

Hello

Thanks for the reply. After a quick google search I have found out that the 40GB does not play ps2 games, 60 GB plays majority (98%) and 80 Gb (70%-80%) as shown below got the info from yahoo answers. Is this true

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071208050449AASKBBB

Hard Drive: 60GB
USB Ports: 4
Colors: Black
Wi-Fi: Yes
Flash Card Readers: Yes
Chrome Trim: Yes
SACD Playback: Yes
PS2 Playback: 98%

Hard Drive: 80GB
USB Ports: 4
Colors: Black
Wi-Fi: Yes
Flash Card Reader: Yes
Chrome Trim: Yes
SACD Playback: Yes
PS2 Playback: 70-80%

*cough* you're wasting your money *cough*

It'll just gather dust after a few days/weeks.

;)

This is the new 80GB PS3, so they will not play ps2 games, nor have memory card slots. And only 2 usb slots

There are too many conflicts. could someone please point me towards an official link which shows whether the UK model 80GB plays ps2 games or not

Thanks

they deffo dont play ps2 this was a price cut for sony to bring costs of the machine down

the new 80gb, or old 40gb, does not play ps2 games. that is 100% correct. the price u are paying for it is a good price.

however, if u can wait a few weeks. the new 160gb version will be released. it will cost an extra £40approx and will come with £45approx of games from the playstation store. but u get double the hard drive space.

personnaly, this is what i would. i would look around for a 40gb (they must be going cheap somewhere) then buy one of these.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/533727

remove the hard drive from this caddy and put it in the ps3, then put your old ps3 drive into the caddy. u now got all the space u need in your ps3 and you also got a 40gb external drive for transfering movies, photos, music etc between the pc and ps3.

this is what i did yesterday and it was very simple to do and took about 10mins in total.

the new 80gb, or old 40gb, does not play ps2 games. that is 100% correct. the price u are paying for it is a good price.

however, if u can wait a few weeks. the new 160gb version will be released. it will cost an extra £40approx and will come with £45approx of games from the playstation store. but u get double the hard drive space.

personnaly, this is what i would. i would look around for a 40gb (they must be going cheap somewhere) then buy one of these.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/533727

remove the hard drive from this caddy and put it in the ps3, then put your old ps3 drive into the caddy. u now got all the space u need in your ps3 and you also got a 40gb external drive for transfering movies, photos, music etc between the pc and ps3.

this is what i did yesterday and it was very simple to do and took about 10mins in total.

or you could get one of these for £60 including free delivery

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/137456

you don't need the memory card slots as you can plug the memory card units into the usb slots anyway.

also get yourself one of those samsung drives (500gb internal). you don't need anything else after that and mind you - not all ps2 games have full compatibility.

I've got an external drive with movies on that i just plug in and watch through the ps3 (no need to stream it using tveristy or nero!

:)

If you want mate you can have my 40gb with blu ray movies and a load of games for £350 its less than month old Im selling it as I dont rate the console anywhere near as good as the xbox360 but thats just my opion. You might have fun with it.

PM if interested

Thanks for the offer prag but I have already bought the PS3. How can you play the movies via the PS3 madagascar

Thanks for the offer prag but I have already bought the PS3. How can you play the movies via the PS3 madagascar

Best way to play movies is via a hard wired ethenet cable and running tversity this way you can download your high def movies h264 in a mkv container just run mkv2vob just muxs to vob or ts file takes sec and you are not restricted to the lousy fat32 4gb limit

and you still have 5.1 audio and can ffw and rrw

hard drive size isnt that impo, u can get a 500gig drive for around 50-60 £ and add it in

Back