Problem With bike jumping in to gear

fruitball

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been giving a yamaha xj600 95 which is in mint condition and only done 30000 miles, I know the bike as been well looked after and i have giving it a service. (this was happening before the service)

Now when i start the bike up i use a bit of choke till it has warmed up and then turn choke off when i am ready to set off. I pull the clutch in and engage first gear and the bike jumps and stalls. Now at first i thought it was perhaps the clutch cable but if i pop it back in to nutreal and then start bike again, engage first gear it is fine. I just went to wales and back on the bike and it runs like a dream and it has been serviced aswell, new oil ect

Any ideas what could be causing this.. and it only happens when left overnight.

Regards..

Fruitball

i dont know bikes to well but maybe the release shaft or bearing needing a little grease ?

make sure your clutch cable moves freely when operated and that its properly adjusted,, if thats ok then your gonna have to remove engine casing over clutch to check for worn parts or contamination / warping between clutch plates

make sure your clutch cable moves freely when operated and that its properly adjusted,, if thats ok then your gonna have to remove engine casing over clutch to check for worn parts or contamination / warping between clutch plates

Hi mate cheers for reply.

I was kinda hoping i dont have to check clutch plates but to it been in the main oil.. Looks like a job for a weekend lol. I guess i will have to dump the oil and stuff like that.. God damm motorbikes.. Well atleast i have another bike for day to day travelling, can work on this one over next couple of weeks.. Was going to ask what is the best lube for the clutch cable.. Is normal motor oil ok?

yep i use wotever engine oil i have handy. and do the old trick with a corner of plastic bag cut off , then put cable into hole , tie wrap or tape on . put small amount of oil in bag and let it seep down through cable..

gud idea m8.. will have to try that tomorrow and see if it cures it.. Clutch cable does seams ok but i will check it throughly tomorrow and see what results i come up with..

Cheers again m8

Regards

Fruitball

I have lubricated the clutch today and checked it and its well within tollerence so the cable is not the issue.. I will be dropping oil out tomorrow and check the state of the clutch itself. Other then that it works like a dream..

clutch seems fine.. stripped it down and all fine.. Since the warm weather doesn;t jump as much now lol

Sorted it now.. replaced cable and working properly.. Strange this is i used the cable that i took of on another xj600 im turning in to a rat bike and it is working fine. Friggin thing... bike is good but sooooo slooowwwww!!! Blade for the win... pitty it costs so much to run..

Thanks for everyones advice... since this i have learnt a lot more about motorcycle maintence and repair :Clap:

Ok just wanted to update info

Back