pre order windows 7 HP for £49.99 or free for new PCs purchased from tomorrow.

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
Windows 7 UK pricing revealed
So long Vista, all is forgiven... now

Microsoft has announced the prices for Windows 7 in the UK. The new OS is currently being put through the beta paces and the final release is due on October 22nd – the "fastest global launch of a Windows Operating System ever,” according to John Curran, Microsoft's Windows Business Lead in the UK.

So how much will it set you back? Well if you start from nothing but a barebones machine and no previous version of Windows to upgrade, it’s £229.99 for the Ultimate edition. Business users can get the Professional edition for £219.99. Home Premium will cost £149.99 – that’s a full 12% discount on the Windows Vista equivalent as Microsoft is mindful of the economic slowdown on tech spending.

There are more savings to be made though. If you want to simply upgrade from an existing Windows Vista package, it’s £199.99, £189.99 and £79.99 for Ultimate, Professional and Home Premium respectively.

But there’s more: Microsoft is hosting a special preorder discount program. It’s available, while stocks last, to anyone who puts in an order between July 15th and August 14th. The pre-order price of Windows 7 Home Premium is a far more reasonable £49.99 while the Professional is £99.99. Orders are limited to 25 copies per customer.

If you’re just about to buy a Windows PC, you don’t need to delay – a free upgrade program is starting tomorrow, June 26th, that will mean anyone who buys a Windows Vista machine will get their upgrade to Windows 7 for free.

Windows 7 rolls out in 14 languages (including English) on October 22nd.

would be great if win 7 worked tried it for a week or so and had loads of driver probs with it and compatibility issues with some progs had probs with the media center and hd sound will wait untill the likes of asus and others bring out win 7 drivers some say you can use vista drivers but they still not quite right used ultimate x64 bit version not sure what the 32 bit version is like great post though

hopefully in the next few days the "OEM" pricing will be released and we'll see the actual costs of the O/S

i would personally buy the oem all you need is the disc not a fancy box and instructions,last time i bought vista oem it was 80 quid so heres hoping

I ordered a lappy like a month ago from dell. still aint arrived yet. I wonder if I could upgrade the vista that came with it
walsh western, the people handling my laptop have had it since 22nd. Delivery date is 29th! how pathetic. I asked to get it delivered earlier but they said no. I asked to pick it up as hub is only 14 odd miles, still no. Bloody wan*ers. Anyways enough ranting, thanks for the info, hopefully see if I can get win7 on it.

I ordered a lappy like a month ago from dell. still aint arrived yet. I wonder if I could upgrade the vista that came with it
walsh western, the people handling my laptop have had it since 22nd. Delivery date is 29th! how pathetic. I asked to get it delivered earlier but they said no. I asked to pick it up as hub is only 14 odd miles, still no. Bloody wan*ers. Anyways enough ranting, thanks for the info, hopefully see if I can get win7 on it.

bummer, your sale went through over a month before the "free" upgrade kicks in. so no freebe for you sorry.
Microsoft details free Windows 7 upgrade deal a few more details here. it looks like those who buy Vista only, may be in line for the upgrade too. so a Vista"OEM" for £80, as someone stated. could net you a full version of Win7.

the price for Win7 "retail" is not fixed. reports say this is because MS are awaiting new calculators, with enough space to display the number of zeros it requires. lol.

the price for Win7 "retail" is not fixed. reports say this is because MS are awaiting new calculators, with enough space to display the number of zeros it requires. lol.

yet more unnecessary microsoft/windows bashing.

Novatech announces free upgrades to Windows 7

BRITISH BASED e-tailer Novatech has added to the Windows 7 hype by announcing it will be offering a free upgrade to the long awaited Vista killer, albeit without a browser.

Novatech said that starting June 29th, any Novatech PC sold with Vista will come with a voucher allowing punters to claim a free upgrade to Windows 7.

XP downgrade rights are also on offer for those who just can't bear to be stuck with Vista for another two months.

Kissing up to the Vole, Novatech's Commercial Director, Kriss Pomroy, blathered that the new OS would be a "breath of fresh air" and the first time in five years that Microsoft had shown any "true innovation" with the Windows operating system. Well, he got that last part right, anyway.

The daft thing about the upgrade, however, is that Novatech says that "as part of the EU ruling, Windows 7 will not ship with Internet Explorer 8," adding that if anyone actually wants a web browser to go along with their upgrade - and let's face it, who wouldn't want to have a browser? - they will have to ask especially for an additional browser installation CD. Silly? Welcome to the policies of the Microsoft's captive channel partners in the European market.

Now, you'd think Novatech would ship Windows 7 with two or more browsers, or at least a widget on the desktop to choose and download a browser using FTP or something. You might think that, but you would be wrong. Microsoft is apparently behaving just like a sulky child about the EU Commission's decision, and it seems to have stuck out its lip and taken its ball and stomped off home to mum. Charming.

If you think that's silly, there's more. Apparently the N version of Windows 7 comes without either a web browser or Windows Media player. OEMs apparently can still choose to pre-install those separately, and for free, on new Windows 7 machines, but individual upgraders are on their own.

Novatech tells punters that a full reinstallation of Windows 7 is needed in order to wash away any aftertaste of Vista, warning this could "wipe user's documents and files". But, cheekily hoping to make a quick buck, Novatech tells its potential customers not to worry, as it can provide external hard drives and USB sticks for backups, at a price of course, as well as tech support if needed.

Novatech adds that customers will have until February 28th 2010 to claim their free Windows 7 upgrade and that options will be provided on a like-for-like basis, including 32bit and 64bit editions.

By Sylvie Barak
Novatech announces free upgrades to windows 7 - The Inquirer

Re: Novatech announces free upgrades to Windows 7

Ah, The Inquirer. Only unbiased because they hate everyone.

Most (all?) OEMs should be doing the free upgrade for computers bought between today (June 26th) and Jan 2010.

The only reason The Inquirer has chosen Novatech is the XP downgrade. Which is an interesting idea, seeing as there is no method of upgrading from XP to Win7 without doing a fresh install! (At least at the moment anyhow.)

Back