Pop goes the 6800!

headwest

Inactive User
Reaction score
After approx 18 months my 6800s+ died this afternoon. There was a total loss of power, so 1st I tried a new fuse, still dead. So then I got out the multimeter and whipped the top of the stb. Testing confirmed mains power to the power board, so next I disconnected the multiplug to the main board. Technomate had kindly listed the output voltages on the mainboard socket so making it nice and easy to test the pinout voltages. The pins labelled 1.7v where pushing out approx 1.3v, the 5v pins showed a mere 0.43v as did the 12v, 7v, etc. So now I'm convinced the power board is the fault, so the question is anyone know how much Technomate will tax me for a replacement board? Or do I just bin it and go for a 5402 which is better supported (kind of!) by Technomate? Or do I go for it and go for a twin?

After approx 18 months my 6800s+ died this afternoon. There was a total loss of power, so 1st I tried a new fuse, still dead. So then I got out the multimeter and whipped the top of the stb. Testing confirmed mains power to the power board, so next I disconnected the multiplug to the main board. Technomate had kindly listed the output voltages on the mainboard socket so making it nice and easy to test the pinout voltages. The pins labelled 1.7v where pushing out approx 1.3v, the 5v pins showed a mere 0.43v as did the 12v, 7v, etc. So now I'm convinced the power board is the fault, so the question is anyone know how much Technomate will tax me for a replacement board? Or do I just bin it and go for a 5402 which is better supported (kind of!) by Technomate? Or do I go for it and go for a twin?

Have you checked whether any caps have popped mate?:drink:

On visual inspection none of the caps are swollen, so I assume the fault aint a cap m8. Over the last couple of months the stb has had a few freeze ups requiring a reboot maybe this was a sign of impending doom with the power board. Thing is, if I install a new power board can I be sure that the mainboard hasn't suffered a fault coz of the power board? I ain't no electronics guru, checking with a multimeter and spotting obvious faults like a swollen cap is just about the end of my limits.

Just because the caps are not swollen, it does not mean they are not faulty.

I got charged £25 for a 600 PSU.

Just because the caps are not swollen, it does not mean they are not faulty.

I got charged £25 for a 600 PSU.

If its only £25ish then its worth buying 1, I could always stick it on ebay if the main board is goosed. Although I have been thinking of going for a twin and the 6800 packing up is making a twin more tempting. Maybe if the 6800 is resurrected then maybe I should stick that on ebay and get a twin anyway? Wrong forum but is the twin the future?

Looks as if your 5V line has popped might be worth trying to find the problem (normally dried capacitors check for any white deposits (leakage) on the PSU board and also replace any capacitors with bulging tops).
Out of interest I tried to order a replacement PSU for my TM5402 and they wanted £25 plus £13 p+p which I thought a over the top by a fair bit.

If you have a friend with the same receiver maybe you could swap PSU's for testing?

Thanks for the pm's chaps.

I phoned technomate today, sure enough they quoted £25 for the psu. the guy at technomate said but that is plus delivery, and delivery is quite pricey. So i said i know your delivery costs are ott, coz everybody bitches about your delivery charges on dw forum. lol. He was quite surprised at my comment! Delivery was quoted at £12 so I've ordered. its expected to arrive tomorrow.

this happened within months of me buying mine, mind it was years and years ago now, i looked online and it was a common fault so TM should know about it.

i sent mine back and they replaced it with a 6900 (ok of them but the 6800 shouldnt have died on its own within a few months).

wasnt impressed and swore i wouldnt buy a TM again and to date i have not.

this happened within months of me buying mine, mind it was years and years ago now, i looked online and it was a common fault so TM should know about it.

i sent mine back and they replaced it with a 6900 (ok of them but the 6800 shouldnt have died on its own within a few months).

I wouldnt have minded a replacement TM6900 FREE for a TM6800 mate!:drink:

Can happen with any make of receiver/stereo/TV whatever, there's always the odd one slips through and normally it's me that gets it. I wouldn't let one bad experience put you off and in your case TM did the decent thing replacing it.
When you think about the complexity of modern electronic equipment it's no surprise that now and again one fails, the semiconductor manufactures use whats called the "bath tub curve" when burning in devices it looks like the letter "U" and describes the expected initial failure of a percentage of devices, if they survive the initial burn in period then you can expect a long working life.
I have some odds and ends of electronic equipment still working after 25 years of service and I've had new equipment fail within a year of purchase it's the luck of the draw, the greatest percentage of any items work long and hard for us and nowadays they are incredibly inexpensive as well.

I wouldnt have minded a replacement TM6900 FREE for a TM6800 mate!:drink:

i didnt mind at the time, (didnt use the freesat and thats the only difference between them iirc).

but after the 6800 going kaput after only a few months (if that) i worried about build quality added to the other reports of them just dying.

if i have some bad issues with a brand " i " avoid them, i dont have a problem with those who love them.

Can happen with any make of receiver/stereo/TV whatever, there's always the odd one slips through and normally it's me that gets it. I wouldn't let one bad experience put you off and in your case TM did the decent thing replacing it.

if only it had been one that slipped through though, at the time i googled like you do to see what was up with it and it wasnt just a one off.

like i said no problem with them but i wont buy a TM again because of that and because theres better out there now.

oh and yeah they did the decent thing, ive no problem with the customer service i received ive just gone off the products and fuel added to fire after i read about the box tm800? that doesnt do what its supposed to.. TM just not for me im afraid.

Last edited:
The psu arrived this am at exactly 9am. You cannot fault Technomate customer service its spot on. If only the patch writers where as 'on the ball' lol.

I've just fitted the psu and the stb is working fine once more.

Cheers

That was a quick and easy fix then... glad you got it sorted m8

Hi headwest,

The psu arrived this am at exactly 9am. You cannot fault Technomate customer service its spot on. If only the patch writers where as 'on the ball' lol.

I've just fitted the psu and the stb is working fine once more.

That was a quick and easy fix then... glad you got it sorted m8

I agree... Technomate have always provided excellent customer service... and I echo xdp73's sentiments...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

To be honest the TM receivers are built to a high standard, I'm quite happy with my 5302 and 5402.

Back