• Brian Johnson

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Both Great

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters

Seedy_r0m

Elite Member
Reaction score
Let's move before they raise the parking rate.
Today is the 30th anniversary of the death of Bon Scott, frontman of AC/DC.

I thought it'd be interesting to have a poll to see who is the more popular between himself & Brian Johnson.

--

Ronald Belford "Bon" Scott (9 July 1946 – 19 February 1980) was a Scottish-born Australian rock musician, best known for being the lead singer and lyricist of Australian hard rock band AC/DC from 1974 until his death in 1980. He was born in Kirriemuir, Scotland, and emigrated to Melbourne, Australia with his family in 1952 at the age of six.

Scott formed his first band, The Spektors, in 1964 and became the band's drummer and occasional lead vocalist. He performed in several other bands including The Valentines and Fraternity before replacing Dave Evans as the lead singer of AC/DC in 1974.

AC/DC's popularity grew throughout the 1970s, initially in Australia, and then internationally. Their 1979 album Highway to Hell reached the top twenty in the United States, and the band seemed on the verge of a commercial breakthrough. However, on 19 February 1980, Scott died after a night of partying in London. AC/DC briefly considered disbanding, but the group quickly recruited vocalist Brian Johnson of the British glam rock band Geordie. AC/DC's subsequent album, Back in Black, was released only five months later, and was a tribute to Scott. It went on to become the second best-selling album in history, second only to Michael Jackson's Thriller.

--

His earlier band - The Valentines performed "Build me up Buttercup", hardly a rock anthem. :)

I'm not going to vote!

Bon Scott started the Legend and BJ has been a superb replacement.

1 -1 in my opinion.

Why not add an option to say I love them both? :)

I'm not going to vote!

Bon Scott started the Legend and BJ has been a superb replacement.

1 -1 in my opinion.

Why not add an option to say I love them both? :)
Good idea on the both vote.But i must say Brian's voice is very powerful and distinctive, so that's why he edged it for me:Clap:

I have to agree they are both equally as good, in different ways, in my opinion. My favourite is Back in Black as that was the first album I brought.

I voted for both, I have seen them live twice The Razors Edge tour about 10 years ago and in the summer just past. Brian Johnson was a great replacement for Bon Scott.

Edit: 10 years ago LOL near 20, 1991 that was.

Last edited:
Mmmm Both great but Bon Scott sneaks it for me fellas!

Pretty sure he was voted one of the best rock singers of all time recently on Planet Rock! Brian is great but I defy anybody to listen to Bon Scott singing Touch too Much and tell me that any of Brian Johnston's vocal's are better on any other ACDC number.

And just in case anybody's interested, Bon Scott's great voice was helped by a hindrance....He was Asmatic!

R.I.P Bon!

I've seen ACDC twice, both times with Brian Johnston :)

sh*t is it 30 years, oh god i feel old now....well older.

i voted both too, both very distinctive and both ac/dc to me.

saw tribute band "livewire" ( Live/Wire - The AC/DC Tribute Show ) last year and they have 2 singers for the different era's of songs

I know were some people are coming from about bon scott, but brian johnson has to go down as one of the greatest replacements of all time.
Also back in black a great album to heal dc fans sorrow.

sh*t is it 30 years, oh god i feel old now....well older.

i voted both too, both very distinctive and both ac/dc to me.

saw tribute band "livewire" ( Live/Wire - The AC/DC Tribute Show ) last year and they have 2 singers for the different era's of songs

I've seen ABCD and they are (Or certainly used to be) a tribute to Bon Scott AB/CD-The #2 Band in the World

I'm by no means knocking Brian Johnston peeps.....lol I think he's brilliant and agree there could be no better replacement! My point was (And I guess its a personal opinion) is when I listen to ACDC, my playlist goes from Bon Singing Touch too Much to Brian singing Thunderstuck. I can't help thinking how much I would have loved to hear Bon sing Thunderstruck :)

At the end of the day I'm quite sure both singers would have great respect for each other!

I've seen ABCD and they are (Or certainly used to be) a tribute to Bon Scott AB/CD-The #2 Band in the World

I'm by no means knocking Brian Johnston peeps.....lol I think he's brilliant and agree there could be no better replacement! My point was (And I guess its a personal opinion) is when I listen to ACDC, my playlist goes from Bon Singing Touch too Much to Brian singing Thunderstuck. I can't help thinking how much I would have loved to hear Bon sing Thunderstruck :)

At the end of the day I'm quite sure both singers would have great respect for each other!

I know what your saying. I picked the both option as they're both great singers but if you told me I had to choose I think Bon would shade it, only just though.

thebigman

Why did you have to ask one of the most difficult but brilliant questions in rock Seedy.lol
As a result i am slurping down the Merrydown and blasting the volume up to full to summon the gods for an answer.
I will play my ACDC mixed cd and light two candles next to a framed picture of Tommy Vance for an answer.....

I will play my ACDC mixed cd and light two candles next to a framed picture of Tommy Vance for an answer.....

TV on your radio...now there's a guy who knew his music.
Not like that plastic rock DJ Radio Clyde had - Tam Russell.

This is the 3rd time I've tried to reply to this thread.
Last night was after a new W7 install on my Desktop, I closed down the wrong browser window & lost the lot.
Tonight it decided that it wanted to install Flash, and decided to close all windows (but attempt to open them back up again), trouble was, the reply box was now empty.

FU Micro$haft...this is an outrage!

Anyway...

I saw them at Glasgow Apollo during their "For those about to Rock" tour.

How's this for a set-list:

1 Hells Bells
2 Have A Drink On Me
3 Shot Down In Flames
4 Sin City
5 Shoot To Thrill
6 Back In Black
7 Bad Boy Boogie
8 Rock And Roll Ain t Noise Pollution
9 Highway To Hell
10 The Jack
11 Let's Get It Up
12 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
13 Whole Lotta Rosie
14 Let There Be Rock
15 Live Wire
16 For Those About To Rock
17 T.N.T

Bon Scott is the daddy IMHO, but Brian is not without his merits either.
Everything up until (and including) the "For those about to Rock", was a classic. There were a few gems such as Thunderstruck, Who Made Who, Stiff Upper Lip etc, but the earlier stuff definitely Shook me all night long :)

I was a bit p1ssed off when my workmate said that he had booked tickets for Livewire at Lanark Market to mark the 30th anniversary, It was too late for me to swap my backshift, so I couldn't go.

There is another tribute band (Hells Bells) from Bristol who have played a few times at my local rock club The Dreadnought in Bathgate, haven't caught them yet, but might do the next time around.

Here's one to leave you with...

ACDC - Glasgow Apollo - Fling Thing/Rocker - 30th Apr 1978 - If you want Blood...

A bl00dy better band than we were a football team :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKzJ682x8OQ&feature=related"]Fling Thing (Bonny)/Rocker[/ame]

the m8s have a acdc cover band (AC?DC) they are great i will upload in the morning

Had ACDC on all day and its Scott for me but by a very thin margin as Johnston is a class act and brings good energy to the band.
Scott's voice brings the blues side of the band out whilst Johnston reminds me that they are pure metal gods.
Ahh f*** it,,a don't know,, when a asked Tommy last night after a healthy bucket, he replied.. " Have another drink and put Vinnie Vincent on very loud"
So i did and i fell asleep and forgot the record has an infinite groove on it...

Back