Phone Scam

Garngadblue

Inactive User
Reaction score
I got this scam passed on to me so I thought I'd pass it on.

Please be aware!!! This applies to work and home.
I have spoken to BT and they confirm that they are aware of this and are investigating,
Please don't get caught out.
Please be aware of the following telephone scam relating to home and/or work phones (including mobiles).
The scenario is:- Your phone rings and you receive a recorded message; "Congratulations.
We are calling to advise you that you have won an all expenses paid trip to .
Please press 9 now to hear further details."
If you press 9, you'll be connected to a premium line that bills in the region of £20 per minute.
If you press 9 and connect, even if you disconnect immediately, the other end will stay connected for a minimum of 5 minutes - at a cost to you of £100 - the message lasts for 11 minutes.
The final part of the call asks you to key in your postcode and house number (which has other serious considerations) and then, after a wait of a further two minutes, responds with the message;
"Sorry, you are not one of the lucky winners." and disconnects, adding a further £260 to your bill!
Unfortunately the calls are originating from outside the U.K. and as such BT and other providers are relatively powerless to act.
The only safe solution is to hang up before the message prompts you to press 9.

Jim :)

i'll have to look when aint been drinkin - the heading confude the hell outta me :)

Back