phone scam.

googiemans2001

Inactive User
Reaction score
My brother got caught out with one yesterday, got a phone call on his house phone saying "this is James from the information centre phone me back", a 0871 number. So unsuspectingly he did, he doesn't know how much he was charged,but when he dialled the number back when they answered it clicked as if someone answerd and then went dead.. so beware:Jester:

My brother got caught out with one yesterday, got a phone call on his house phone saying "this is James from the information centre phone me back", a 0871 number. So unsuspectingly he did, he doesn't know how much he was charged,but when he dialled the number back when they answered it clicked as if someone answerd and then went dead.. so beware:Jester:

"0871 fixed rate numbers have a fixed cost to your customers of 8.5 pence per minute plus VAT, regardless of the time the call is placed. You receive a share of this for each call you receive.

The 0871 fixed rate number is cheaper for your customers than a premium rate number, but still enables you to increase your revenue. They are most commonly used for recorded information lines, but can be combined with any of our virtual switchboard services depending on your specific business requirements."

If the line clicked and went dead, he can't have been charged very much. These numbers only generate revenue by keeping customers on the line with interminable recorded messages.

Back