PCTV to release first DVB-T2 USB stick

papa dragon

Inactive User
Reaction score
PCTV nanoStick T2 (290e)

nano418.png

nano24181.png

Product PDF: http://www.wegotserved.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/PCTV-nanoStick-T2-290e-EN.pdf

£99 available October.

IFA 2010: PCTV nanoStick T2 290e Freeview HD Tuner - Full Specs and Data Sheet | We Got Served

Its only 720p according to the spec sheet which is very disappointing. All FreeviewHD broadcasts in the UK are 1080i so you are going to have a lot of additional processing done on the picture if you are using a 1080p monitor.

The price is rather high as well given the lack lustre specs.

I think I read somewhere that T2 tuner chips are in short supply and most are ending up in STB at the moment. Hopefully should start seeing cards with 1080i support in the next month or two.

Its only 720p according to the spec sheet which is very disappointing. All FreeviewHD broadcasts in the UK are 1080i so you are going to have a lot of additional processing done on the picture if you are using a 1080p monitor.

This is a bit baffling. Are you saying it receives a 1080i signal, then does loads of work to downscale it to 720i|p, before dishing it up to your client software? (I'd find it surprising if this rinkydink USB jobby has the power to do that but a bit of googling suggests all the work's done on the host CPU).

That seems a little... bizarre? Surely it's far more work than just handing over the 1080i signal in the first place?! Unless there is some magically easy way to just pull out a 720 signal out of a 1080i? e.g. (random clutching at straws here) throw away every 3rd line - but this requires a cheap way to get at said data line-by-line, and (knowing nothing about DVB / video encoding methods) I'd be surprised if that's how it's broadcast.

I have a myth TV project waiting on a decent dvbt2 card or even usb dongles. Not sure of the state of linux drivers for the blackgold kit

Back