PCs on broadband

ka004h9564

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,anyone know why my pc downstairs connects
to the net faster than the one upstairs,(meaning to veiw
pages)both are connected to a hard wired router.
The both PCs are the same spec 3.4g,the only diff
is the one upstairs cable is longer.
many thanks.
Ken.

Pc

hi m8, i had the same problem only mine was on a wireless network, discovered it was down to spyware/trojan. after a good clean appears to be working just as fast as my main pc. look around if u havent already got one a spyware/trojan cleaner.

you gave yourself the answer .... longer cable

used to be same problem with 56k ... longer the cable the more possibility of pages taking longer

but shouldn't be a great deal of difference in time ... maybe a second or two ??

Hi again,thanks for the replys,pc is clean(checked)
pc upstairs is a lot slower.
still working on trying to speed it up.
many thanks
Ken.

Hi will have a look tomorrow when i come back from work as my son is a sleep in
his bedroom now.
many thanks
Ken.

It could be an idea to move your pc downstairs temporarily and connect it down there. At least that way you will be able to see if it is your cabling or if it is pc specific. I was reading the other day that fixtures such as flourescent lights and high electrical interference can adversely affect cable to.

The theoretical limit for a cat 5e cable is 50m in idealised conditions, also check that the twisting of the cable pairs at the ends is intact as the twisting in the cable prevents interference. Also avoid sharp bends in cables as this produces local hot spots which create resistance and interference and route the cable away from mains power sources.

Back