Painting wood and concrete to look like concrete ...

Lanstrom

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am going to have new fence panels that are 1' taller than my existing ones.

The only solution I have found to filling in the 1' gaps between the panels at the top of the post is this ... http://www.buryfencing.com/explodeimages/PostExtensions/Extension1.JPG

Do you think its possible to paint this wooden extension and the existing concrete post in a concrete colour so that they blend and all look new ?

What paint would you recommend ?

Hmm.

You could use a masonry paint for the exisitng concrete, and just use an ordinary matt exterior paint for the wooded 'extenders' to match.

It will never 'look' like concrete, although you can just use the same colour.

I have just done my front garden posts with masonry paint and it looks really good (two coats).

Masonry paint

Wood Paint

Last edited:
I think these extenders come in either a dipped colour or tanalised.
Any ideas what would happen if I used a masonry paint on the tanalised version ?

think you just got to try a test patch m8,must be a neighbour who's got a bit of tanalised timber stickin out somewhere

Tanalised just means it has undergone a preservation process. Your wood will last longer (boom boom).

Painting/staining over it should be no problem.

I am going to have new fence panels that are 1' taller than my existing ones.

The only solution I have found to filling in the 1' gaps between the panels at the top of the post is this ... http://www.buryfencing.com/explodeimages/PostExtensions/Extension1.JPG

Do you think its possible to paint this wooden extension and the existing concrete post in a concrete colour so that they blend and all look new ?

What paint would you recommend ?

what about lowering the concrete base panels an inch m8, {assuming your fence has these panels } theres a good chance they will be resting on soil rather than concrete...easy job

hahaha 1' seemed like 1" forget it

Last edited:
I think the point is that he wants the fence a foot higher.

stain all of it the same colour as the fence m8, i done this on a small run of fenceing i built.......better than paint i think and a lot less hassle when you need to restain it

Tanalised just means it has undergone a preservation process. Your wood will last longer (boom boom).

Painting/staining over it should be no problem.

No idea if it's true, but when I had my shed built (custom job) and fitted, he told me not to paint it, because it had been treated, and painting with any kind of paint/preservative lessens the life of the treated timber...

As I say though, could be a load of bollox...

stain all of it the same colour as the fence m8, i done this on a small run of fenceing i built.......better than paint i think and a lot less hassle when you need to restain it

I have done that before and it looked great but on this occasion since the panels and gravelboards are new I didnt want to paint them with preserver.

I am also trying to appease the neighbours at the same time which is why I thought about doing the post+extender in a concrete colour that is already close to the original colour of the post otherwise they are going to have a dark coloured extender on top of a grey post which wouldnt look good from their side.

Might have to get photoshop on the job and do a few mock-ups to be approved by the boss. ;-)

You could take a fence post into the local B&Q and get them to colour match.

Back