Owen Coyle

chrispeters

Elite Member
Reaction score
I personally welcome him to Bolton...
Although , i do feel for those Burnley fans .....

GUARDIAN
Owen Coyle is poised to be confirmed as the new manager of Bolton Wanderers in the next 48 hours. The Scot agreed to move from Burnley to the Reebok Stadium tonight after he spent the evening discussing terms with Barry Kilby, the chairman at Turf Moor. Barring a dramatic about-face on Coyle's part, the switch should be finalised shortly.

Coyle had met Phil Gartside, Bolton's chairman, on Sunday in Scotland – where he was belatedly celebrating the festive period with his mother – to discuss the mooted transfer after receiving reluctant permission to open talks from Kilby.

Burnley said after tonight's discussions that Coyle and Kilby had agreed "to take a further 24 hours to digest the information shared before making any further announcement". It is likely this reflects an ongoing wrangle over compensation.

Burnley were powerless to prevent Coyle's talks with Bolton because a clause inserted in the manager's contract last summer freed him to talk to any rival club prepared to pay more than £3m in compensation for his services, although the precise figure must now be settled. Negotiations centred not solely on the 43-year-old former Bolton striker but also on his Burnley assistant Sandy Stewart, who is now expected to join him at the Reebok. They hope to take charge for the first time for Wednesday's Premier League game away to Arsenal.

Coyle last week briefly deflected attention from Gartside's pursuit by saying he was "privileged to be building something special" at Burnley but he also acknowledged that Bolton would "always have a special place in my heart".

Well aware their manager could command a higher salary and, more importantly, a significantly larger transfer budget at Bolton, Burnley officials began bracing themselves for an approach.

Several in the Turf Moor boardroom knew that Coyle, who spent two and a half years playing for Bolton as a forward under Bruce Rioch's management at Burnden Park during the mid 1990s, applied for the Reebok vacancy created by Sammy Lee's sacking just over two years ago.

Then in charge of St Johnstone, he was shortlisted for a post which went to Gary Megson, who was sacked last week. Gartside had been so impressed by Coyle he recommended him to Burnley when their manager's job became available a month later. Coyle led them to promotion to the Premier League last season.

I think you have bagged a good manager there....didn't Celtic want him before Mowbray ???

He will need time and patience. Theres just something about Megson that I never liked, can't put my finger on it but I just didn't rate him.

Its been hard for Bolton since big Sam left but they are a solid enough team.

Cannot see why Bolton didn't take to Megson, I thought he was a decent manager at WBA but then failed miserably at Forest. He kept you lot up and has bought a few decent players but blew £10million on Elmader who cannot hit a barn door.

Coyle is a great prospect for the future but IMHO should have stook with Burnely after all it is his 1st season in the big league and Bolton could make or break his managerial career

As a burnley fan i can say coyle is a good manager , but in my eyes he has gone from god to judas , i really hope that we stuff bolton at the reebok and they go down .......
up the clarets...

From talking about honesty and integrity like a week ago to this 180. Instead of talkin about a special affection for the club (hes played for about 15 different clubs and played longer at Burnley than at Bolton) wish he would just say the truth that its about the cash money.

Anyway I wonder how long he'll last at Bolton, cos getting barely a point away from home will not cut it with Bolton fans I dont think

what it is with Bolton fans and Megson .....
its HIS style of football , it is HORRIBLE to watch , much too negative even at home against lower teams .
No one is saying coyle will do a better job , but his style of football suits Bolton Wanderers and the fans much better .
Boltons style of play with Megson in charge was dire to watch .
Elmander was a shockin waste of money.
Zack Knight is absolute Turd.
I am better than Muamba.

personally , i think havin coyle at bolton is a step sideways .
I prefer to see Steve mcclaren or someone like that....

Coyle maybe thinks he has a better chance of staying in the premiership with Bolton rather than Burnley plus he has an idea of how much both teams have to spend in the transfer window with Bolton maybe having the bigger pockets

Along with the fact of being a player at Bolton and perhaps a bigger Salary $$$ it was a chance he couldn't turn down

Personally think he should have seen this season out at Burnley and keep them in the prem rather than risking it Bolton

Back