OVH hosting provider goes down during planned maintenance

alimac

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
OVH, the largest hosting provider in Europe and the third-largest in the world, went down earlier today following what looks like routing configuration issues during planned maintenance.

OVH has 32 data centers with over 300,000 servers on four continents and a total of 20 Tbit/s global network capacity.
It provides web hosting, cloud computing services, and dedicated servers to 1,300,000 enterprise customers worldwide.

Outage caused by bad router configuration
"We will do a maintenance on our routers on VIN DC to improve our routing," the company said on its status page before its servers went down.
However, due to unknown issues encountered during the planned maintenance, the hosting provider's servers became unreachable, also taking down customers' sites with them.

"Following a human error during the reconfiguration of the network on our DC to VH (US-EST), we have a problem on the whole backbone.

OVH hosting provider goes down during planned maintenance

This is a lot more common than most people realise, and 99% of the time it's human error. I've done it at my place loads of times, my colleague took out the whole managment network one day, because he wasn't paying attention.

Back