Overclocking Sempron 3100+

Gary Jackson

Inactive User
Reaction score
Any of you chaps know how to successfully overclock an AND Sempron 3100+ processor with the components that I have listed below? I have had a look on various sites regarding overclocking, but all seem to talk 'high tech jargon' which I don't understand very much. I know a little about bios settings but this is very limited as I don't like to tamper with it all that much incase I get it wrong and make a balls of it! So if anyone knows any easy no tech jargon on how make my Sempron 3100+ a little faster than stock, it would be much asppreciated.

AMD Sempron 3100+ (SDA3100BABOX) Skt754 256kb Cache 90nm

ECS K8 NVIDIA Socket 754 DDR400 AGP (P21110) NFORCE3-A ATX Motherboard

X2 Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory Module

MSI Mx4000-T128 AGP 128MB DDR TV-Out

350W Power Suppy Unit.

try ntune gary, its probably on the mobo disk

Gary Jackson said:
Any of you chaps know how to successfully overclock an AND Sempron 3100+ processor with the components that I have listed below? I have had a look on various sites regarding overclocking, but all seem to talk 'high tech jargon' which I don't understand very much. I know a little about bios settings but this is very limited as I don't like to tamper with it all that much incase I get it wrong and make a balls of it! So if anyone knows any easy no tech jargon on how make my Sempron 3100+ a little faster than stock, it would be much asppreciated.

AMD Sempron 3100+ (SDA3100BABOX) Skt754 256kb Cache 90nm

ECS K8 NVIDIA Socket 754 DDR400 AGP (P21110) NFORCE3-A ATX Motherboard

X2 Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory Module

MSI Mx4000-T128 AGP 128MB DDR TV-Out

350W Power Suppy Unit.

hello there, u have 2 options of overclocking i have the same chip for my lil bro.

go to the nvidia site and download the ntune program it comes with instructions

or

go in to bios and start by slowly raising the FSB(front side bus) usually in increments of 3-4mhz! after each increase save and exit bios and let pc load in to windows. check the temperatures to make sure everything isnt over heating. also make sure u lock ur AGP bus! u dont want to overclock that or u will kill ur GPU! i managed to get my brothers to 2.1Ghz using the stock heatsink fan that came with it. u shouldnt need to tweak the voltage or anything. the limit will also be determined by the quality of ur ram and motherboard also.

PLEASE make sure u have enough fans to keep the temperature inside ur pc case really cool. i usually advise a front intake fan and back exhaust fan.

hope that helps m8.

Very interesting reading chaps, many thanks for your input.

Looks like the Nvidia Ntune 3.00 is the best option and if I have read it correctly it does all of the settings for me automaticly, am I correct in saying this?

cheers.

Gary Jackson said:
Very interesting reading chaps, many thanks for your input.

Looks like the Nvidia Ntune 3.00 is the best option and if I have read it correctly it does all of the settings for me automaticly, am I correct in saying this?

cheers.

Thats right gary, if it tells you that pci is tracking the ht then you will have to enter bios and lock it to 33

good luck

Just had a good look around for the Ntune d/l and I cant see my motherboard supported with this app, does it matter which version I go for?

this is your mobo
[DLMURL]http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=502&MenuID=21&LanID=9[/DLMURL]

it says that it supports ntune, infact all nforce3/4 does

warning though, I started trying to boost my pc and ended up buying the best,
BE WARNED THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER
A tweek may only get you %5 increase and watch your temp

p.s. you wern't interested in speed when choosing your setup, a bit late now me thinks, "B- can do better"

also, as a side note, nvidia firewall seems very good, and raid0 is much much quicker

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as I have got all the stuff inside the pc now I can only tune the bits iv got, its quite fast now but compaired to my AMD Athlon XP2600+ running @2.00GHz its pretty slow, but not to worry we live and learn.

Can I again thank you Jay and all the others for helping me out, the info has been very informative.

many thanks.

Gary Jackson said:
Well, as I have got all the stuff inside the pc now I can only tune the bits iv got, its quite fast now but compaired to my AMD Athlon XP2600+ running @2.00GHz its pretty slow, but not to worry we live and learn.

Can I again thank you Jay and all the others for helping me out, the info has been very informative.

many thanks.

hello m8, ok just seen my brothers PC, his PC is running at 2.1Ghz, thats 300Mhz quicker! u can feel the difference too. like said go in to the bios and raise the FSB its fool proof. his processor is at 32degrees on idle and goes up to 41degrees on LOAD! and he hasnt even got any PC case fans lol!

the 3100+ is a decent processor but once overclocked its even better!

hope that helps m8.

Well, after a bit of thought and a bit more reading of my motherboard book I had to have a tinker, the 3100+ is running quite fast now on 2.14GHz setting and the temp on idle is 27~28 degrees, under load 38~45 degrees, but its a little cold in the bairns bedroom atm......I'll check the temp again in the morning when the heating is on (usually roasting about 10 am...lol) and see what the pc runs at then. Btw, is it possible the pc could shut down if it is too cold?

cheers for your reply Elite786

Back