Outlook and Internet

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
A very Happy and Prosperous New Year to all M8's wherever you are and hope you have now sobered up a little to help this old and slightly going mad old bloke.

My ISP changed their server for my broadband and everything has gone haywire.

OUTLOOK: when I send emails to my reguilar people I get error 530 authentication requird - never had this before.

My Internet connection (Broadband) keeps going down.

My lap top is only reliable when I use my datacard the wireless network is not.

My PC is so slow I tried to carry out a Dan Elwell speed test and only got the results unable to connect timed out. When I try to download Symantec Virus scan just in case my virus checker has not picked up a virus it times out and fails to load.

To boot it all now when I try to boot up the PC it stops at the point of 'Boot from CD' and refuses to find my OS.

I insert the Windows disc and repair the boot sector to get into Windows.

I know there is a code for chkdsk and fixing errors automatically any ideas what it is please.

Has any kind soul any suggestions apart from throw the whole lot in the bin - wait the Lappy is brand span king new so scrub that idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated even if it the name of a decent scrap man.......

:Chainsaw:

OUTLOOK: when I send emails to my reguilar people I get error 530 authentication requird........

...... Have you tried editing account and selecting 'My Serve requires authentication' ?

My Internet connection (Broadband) keeps going down............ Your isp is pants ;)

My lap top is only reliable when I use my datacard the wireless network is not......

..... Was it ever ? LOL No have you tried a firmware upgrade on your router, what type are you using ?

My PC is so slow I tried to carry out a Dan Elwell speed test and only got the results unable to connect timed out. When I try to download Symantec Virus scan just in case my virus checker has not picked up a virus it times out and fails to load........

........ Computer is only as quick as the user ;).... Have you tried how quick the machine is without the network connection as it could be all related to the same problem ?

To boot it all now when I try to boot up the PC it stops at the point of 'Boot from CD' and refuses to find my OS......

............ Sounds like a format to sort that one, sorry :(

Has any kind soul any suggestions apart from throw the whole lot in the bin..

......... Throw it to me :)

contacted your isp by any chance???
a good place to start if everything was working b4 they changed their server.

if its new, does it have a warranty, if so make them do the work in regards to the booting thing.

zhinkler said:
contacted your isp by any chance???
a good place to start if everything was working b4 they changed their server.

:Cheers: Have tried contacting them by phone - very busy left messages on v/mail by email had no reply keep on trying.

if its new, does it have a warranty, if so make them do the work in regards to the booting thing.

:angelwing Unfortunately computer is not new - as I have to re write the boot sector each time I boot up it would appear that there is a virus and the thing needs formatting. Massive job transferring lots of files etc unless someone has another idea to try first to re-establish boot sector on permenat basis.

:Cheers: Thanks for suggetsions M8

Just format the bugger and get xp& sp2 on it!!.....dont forget to fdisk the partition in windows, delete it and make a new partition with the clean xp & sp2 install.... start from scratch...job sorted!

ps dont forget the updates when you hook up to the net.

Last edited:
telsave said:
OUTLOOK: when I send emails to my reguilar people I get error 530 authentication requird - never had this before.

right... since your ISP server has changed, has your ISP's mail server changed?

it is usually... mail.<ISP>.com

eg... mail.btinternet.com

mail.wannadoo.com..... etc etc....

check your ISP's website though and it will give you the details...

outlook & internet

Hi Kennedy thanks for this I did contact the ISP but after many attempts at speaking with them - voice mail full etc. I sent an email to which they have not responded. I included Dan Elwells speed test report. from the blurb they sent out only the access to my router needed changing everything else remained the same. Trouble is my contract with them is to Janaury 2007!!

Mmmmm! Gary I just love strong assertive men but unfortunately you are right it is getting the time to do it of course B****y keeps getting in the road as I work continually on the computer when I am in my office. But it must be done. If I boot up with the Windows CD in the drive and do not select boot from CD it still boots up OK without going through the process of re-writing the boot sector. So this could be a short term measure as no virus software has found a virus on the computer?

Hey Dutcho are you going to transfer the files for your old man then?????

:Cheers:

Dutcho said:
Do I have an option ? LOL

:banana: Well Yeh! of course you do you can come down here fix my security light and do my files at the same time - when are you coming to see us????

Gavin is here from Spain at the moment.

:Cheers:

Back