Optical Cable!!

ennerdale22

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

does anybody use an "optical" cable with dbox(or with dvd player)?, does it improve sound quality much?, does it produce better dolby 5.1 than using a scart.

thanks
dave

p.s.
im just trying to setup my TV, DVD recorder and Dbox to get the best out of them.

optical connection via livedrive.

i too have been wondering about this. In my quest to get box to record data. I was wondering could anyone tell me if i could possibly link it to one of those livedrive's and record stream to my pc?

ntl just send stereo sound .. i have a 6.1 speaker system in the living room .. i didnt try the dbox on it via optical yet. but i am pretty sure sound will be pretty much the same .. i guess u can say "qulati" will be little bit better but they do not send any dolby or 5.1 sound .. so it makes no big difference if analog or digital.
I am not sure thou if the dbox can play back 5.1 sound of streams? not tryed that. my xbox does it lovely with dvds and dvix stuff ..

The DBox Hardware can decode 5.1 via it's optical output and many european stations transmit in 5.1

Optical signals are better technically as they do not change the data at all (coax transfers change the amplitube but its still digital so it shouldnt really matter!). What you want to look at is the end product. Is the Digital to Analog converter on your Amplifier better than whatever it is you are going from?
It normally is, so u should use it if u can (and its easier, 1 cable!).
Cable etc is normally only stereo (with some feeds being dolby-pro logic a possiblilty as they aer encoded into an analog L/r stereo signal) So it aint a benifit really. But if ur dbox is playing AC3 or anything like that, then its pronbably better to use the optical right into ur AV amp that should read it as that and give u 5.1 surround from a divx etc.

Soundblaster live's have no hardware decode of 5.1 or anything like that thru optical, they only do pass thru, so if u output a DTS DVD from the optical out INTO an AV AMP or decoder it will be 5.1 but u wont be able to record it. only a standard stereo file/stream. (u can actually encode a stereo file that os full DTS 5.1 24 that will play back on a cd player but it needs to go into a DTS decoder to play rights very cool but hey not the point!)

Kinda went off on a tangent there but hoped this helped a bit.

I have used optical out on dbox from day one, there is a great improvement in sound quality compared to tv spks, but i think the cc only transmit in stereo anyway as there own boxes only do stereo.
derek

Yeah, TV speakers are normally sh1te! Just putting the sound into a decent amp and setup is always better, as long as its set up right even if its just ur bog standrd rca phono stereo link.

Hi mate,
Im about to invest in home cinema system and connecting my dbox via optical out.
If you have a Dolby Pro Logic 2 decoder this can then reproduce the sound in surround sound, not as good as 5.1 but using above logic capabilities even if the source from the box is stereo.
Make sure you have Dolby output to ON in your dbox audio settings!
Hope this helps

Back