No wonder we are a country in debt

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying the current limit is £800 per month but if the limit went up to £2,166 it would stop landlords milking the system. Surely landlords would be able to charge more if the limit went up ?
No they are not planning to put the limits up, the limits are set by area.
What they are saying is that if in kensington the limit is £2000 then the limit will be dropped to £500
I would love to live in kensington but I can't afford it.
I could pack in work become a bum and move there but it wouldn't sit well with me.
Statement on housing benefit
parts 4 and 5 concern me the most as in part 4 the council doesn't have an option and in part 5 it has no power to stop people moving from say basildon to kensington and saying now pay my rent because I cannot afford it.

It's all well and good saying
I feel very unhappy that some parts of the country might become no go areas for the poor.
but that is a fact of life and always has been.
We can't all live in expensive accomodation thats a fact of life no matter how idealistic we are.

Just had a play with the lha website and got this
https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secur...droomCalculatorPageParameters=true&BrmaId=146
kensington

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secur...edroomCalculatorPageParameters=true&BrmaId=90
basildon

I think it's going to be pretty hard to justify someone staying in kensington when they can move 30 miles to basildon.

Last edited:
would love to see how many bums and immagrants claiming benefits.would still be living in the likes of kensington.. if say they were only allowed £500 pcm rent allowance. and they have to make the rest up themselfs ????..well al tell you not 1 ... if you aint got the means to pay. you shouldnt have the right to say were your going to live. should be grate full were ever there housed..

Yeah what we need are shanty towns to put the undeserving in or maybe even a few ghettos here and there or maybe go the whole hog and...

Yeah what we need are shanty towns to put the undeserving in or maybe even a few ghettos here and there or maybe go the whole hog and...

i dont quite get this.

where i live, the 'average' private rent is £475 a month, but the council here will only pay £91.75 a week

while this doesnt affect me, for those who dont work, they cannot say that they need to live in central london for any reason at all, other than to live in a huge posh house, for free

in my eyes, the thousands of pounds a month being wasted on paying rent in this way, could pay for a surgeon on a baby critical care unit, or some extra staff on a cancer care ward, maybe put a few extra coppers on the street, or run a couple of extra ambulances and paramedic teams

if the council are paying these obscene amounts to rent a house, is it right that while vital services are being slahsed do to not money available in the tax pot that people can carry on living in houses, that even if they were working full time, they still wouldnt be able to afford themselfs?

its common sense, and about time this govt started to use some of it

posted from a shanty town in the middle of wales, where my whole street could be rented for a week for the cost of one weeks housing benefit in london

I'm posting from my privately rented house in Devon where more and more young local people are finding themselves unable to stay in the area where they and their parents were born because so much of the property has been bought by the well healed.

The same applies in areas of London where people who have lived there for generations are being pushed out because of the rise in the value of properties.

I don't deny that there are some who milk the system but those further up the financial ladder are milking it much more and at greater cost to the well being of the majority.

The engineered move away from a manufacturing economy towards a services and financial one has caused many of our current problems.

Last edited:
I'm posting from my privately rented house in Devon where more and more young local people are finding themselves unable to stay in the area where they and their parents were born because so much of the property has been bought by the well healed.

The same applies in areas of London where people who have lived there for generations are being pushed out because of the rise in the value of properties.

I don't deny that there are some who milk the system but those further up the financial ladder are milking it much more and at greater cost to the well being of the majority.

The engineered move away from a manufacturing economy towards a services and financial one has caused many of our current problems.

well said it time someone tell the truth it not always the working class that fault it is the rich that dont pay there taxes, that they are ment too and then blame the working class for the mess,

no 1 is talking about working class ppl though. its bums and immagrants that think its there right to live in a place thats way beyond there means if they cap the rents then the greedy landlords would have property empty not earning money.rents would come down !!but no the bums want and expect the working class's hard earn tax that they pay in to the system.for there life style.
lets face it you wouldnt shop in harrods if all you can afford is netto.. and expect some 1 to pay ur bill would u !!

An example:

I know some of these so called bums and children of bums who moved to Carrickfergus from Belfast - formerly a small country town but developed to accommodate workers for the new factorys built there. Three big factorys, lots of jobs, lots of people willing to work. Move forward a few years: factorys gone, no jobs - all the problems of big housing estates. Big culture change - whose fault? What hope? Broken communities.

Thatcher's: no such thing as community, loads of money, get what you can... All that matters is material gain.

Last edited:
thats the whole point of the thread hamba. there not living in big feck off multi million pound houses m8.and expecting tax payer's money to pay the stupid rents.if there's no work in the area. move away.like these ppl did in the first place were there was work.
but as the op posted its ppl coming and expecting not to work and live a life of riley thats getting to ppl

thats the whole point of the thread hamba. there not living in big feck off multi million pound houses m8.and expecting tax payer's money to pay the stupid rents.if there's no work in the area. move away.like these ppl did in the first place were there was work.
but as the op posted its ppl coming and expecting not to work and live a life of riley thats getting to ppl

What the OP posted was nonsense, not true, made up, fabricated, probably didn't originate in this country: total mythical generalisation.

It's obvious why we are a country in debt - milked by bankers and corporate interests.

Last edited:
I'm not some backwoods boy who doesn't know what's going on. I was brought up on the Shankill, I've lived and worked in London, Manchester and the Midlands.

I read, I listen, I watch. I don't jump to quick conclusions and I don't believe something just because I see it on the web or receive it in an email.

Read the original post again: it's just plain silly.

I can't see anything wrong with the first post.Time to face up to reality there is too much of this swept under the carpet because people cannot be bothered to get immigration sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back