Next Project, build a HTPC to match the Dreambox 8000HD for less.

simeonipicker

Inactive User
Reaction score
Right, So I want to beat the DM8000HD and for less. Going by this site:
Dreambox 8000 HD Relook 9000 HD DG Station 9000 HD Tripledragon Relook Mutant dream500 dreambox 7025 dreambox 8000HD

It has *support* for a internal HDD and DVD Rom.

It costs that for twin sat tuners but has space for 2 other tuners either Cable or terrestrial.

I am going to replace both the 2 sat tuners with cable tuners in the this HTPC build.

Current system spec I am thinking of:

ATHLON 64 X2 4050E £45
Crucial 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix Memory CL4 2.0V £35
Gigabyte GA-M720-US3(Has optical out) £50
ASUS M4N78 PRO £60

That's what I have come up with so far. I either want to run myth tv/ lunixpvr or DVBviewer/mediaportal.

I wanted to know if anyone has any good ideas for MATX cases. It needs to be as small as I can get really.

After that I need to find two low profile DVB-C cards.

Any ideas much appreciated.

I was thinking of doing the same a while back.

Best way to get a good HTPC case on the cheap is to buy a barebones Media Centre from ebay and then strip out what you dont need. Some of the cases have all what you need (i.e. LCD display, card readers, multi ports like firewire etc) and in some cases it works out cheaper than buying a brand new HTPC case

Also one thing to remember is that the smaller the case then the smaller the PSU so if you're planning to add additional hardware you need to make sure the PSU is powerful. Usually the smaller the PSU then the less power, if you do find a small PSU that gives you plenty of power (i.e. 500W) then you will pay big big money for it

try the d-vine cases they are half height pci cards and micro atx mobo but and i mean but you can get a full size psu in it and try the floppydtv they can fit into a 3.5 in bay with adapter built in cam slot or the skystar hd 2 is low profile but you have to modify the bracket but i dont rate these cards hope this helps

Back