(news)matthew kelly cleared of child abuse

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Police say they are no longer investigating television presenter Matthew Kelly over claims of child abuse.

Surrey police arrested Kelly on January 15 in connection with a historic allegation of child sex abuse, and put him on police bail.

Detective Chief Superintendent Craig Denholm told reporters on Monday: "(Kelly) returned to Staines police station today and has been released with no further action being taken against him in connection to this allegation."

"Following consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service, it has been decided that there is insufficient evidence to support the allegation against Mr Kelly," Denholm added.

However, police cautioned Kelly for possessing class "A" drugs they found when they searched his west London house.

Kelly told reporters he was "delighted but not surprised" that he had been cleared.

"It is clear that there is no truth in the single allegation that was made against me," he said.

Kelly had presented a television talent show, "Stars In Their Eyes", which drew millions of prime time viewers.

Television chiefs ditched him as host for a celebrity spin-off of the programme in late January.

ill be honest i think the guy is wierd full stop :(

but if he is (???) innocent the police and whatever started this have just ruined his career (which i dont think is fair) but as damage said no smoke without fire ... for sure !!!!

strange how he was caught with some class A drugs and only got a caution. Most people would have got more than that.

mathew kelly to sue police

TV presenter Matthew Kelly is considering whether to sue police after being cleared of child sex allegations, according to the Star today.

The 52-year-old said on Monday he was "delighted" that he would not face charges over the claims, which were dropped due to "insufficient evidence."

But now the star is considering suing the force for false imprisonment, the newspaper claims, after his arrest when the allegations first came to light last month.

"He respects the fact the police have to investigate when serious allegations are made," a 'friend' said. "But did they really need to make such a public show of it? He has been exposed to grossly unfair public humiliation which it may take years to come to terms with. It is a matter lawyers will be looking into."

Returning to the stage in a production of Of Mice and Men in Darlington last night, Kelly told the audience: "I would just like to say to everybody who has supported me that the public have been fantastic and all the theatre people lovely."

Back