New wifi printer any recommendations?

stihl260

DW Top Poster +
Reaction score
Hi all
With the increase in wireless devices in our house its time to replace my existing wireless printer (HP officejet J4610).
My existing printer has always been flaky on the wireless side (intermittent at best) on the lappy.
My needs are as follows, colour/black printing A4, scanner copier (must have document feeder!)
Will like to be able to print from Desktop(wired), Acer lappy (wireless) , Acer eepad transformer Android (wireless), Acer Iconia tablet Android (Wireless), Iphone 3GS and HTC sensation XE phones.
My guess is the phones would use Bluetooth.
Hopefully wireless printer has moved on a bit since i bought my existing printer some 3yrs ago.

Epson BX635FWD has a 30 sheet (64 g/m²) doc feeder, connects via ethernet, wifi (b, g and n) and an app called Epson iPrint (available in both iOS and Android flavours).

3rd party CISS kits are also available.

I have always had problems with wireless printers, like you I opted for a HP, was fine for a month then it refused to connect, took it back and tried lexmark, cannon. All seem to have the same problem they work for a time then stop. I have since gone back to my trusty laser printer that has a built in network adaptor it's connected to my hub so all devices can print to it within reason. Technology is always moving on, make sure if you do decide on a model that you read loads of reviews. Sorry thats not much help.

I have generally used epson printers but was tempted to a hp all in one last time. Hated it from the start. Software not user freindly and noisy as hell. Gone back to a epson PX720WD all in one and have not looked back since. Whilst a bit large it works fantastically and the print quality is the best I've ever had from a inkjet. And so far I've not experianced any probs with wi-fi :)

I have generally used epson printers but was tempted to a hp all in one last time. Hated it from the start. Software not user freindly and noisy as hell. Gone back to a epson PX720WD all in one and have not looked back since. Whilst a bit large it works fantastically and the print quality is the best I've ever had from a inkjet. And so far I've not experianced any probs with wi-fi :)

Hiya, I've got the Epsom px720wd aswell and I'm very happy with it,

It's been about 3 or 4 years since I bought my last one but know it was pretty shitty at the time. Lexmark seemed the only decent performance on the wi-fi front but quality was shocking. Most of the others I looked into wouldn't work wired and wireless at the same time, let alone throwing bluetooth into the mix. Gave up on wireless in the end and went with tried and tested Canon MP for quality and CD/DVD printing. Whatever you decide on, don't forget to look into the replacement inks, official and 3rd party as it'll probably be the main factor in what I get next with the way the kids shoot through them. CISS next time I think

Never had any problems with Epson Wireless printers. Easy to set up and never drop connection...and the availability of good cheap inks is a bonus.

Right the final decision has been made, bought and installed.
I settled on the HP officejet 6500A plus Eprint multi function All in one for £107 in the sale from (dont just shop it Arg*s it)
My reasons being, it would print from every Android & apple device i have using the HP app. (supports Apple air print).
Why pay for the Apple app, when the HP one is free and works perfectly?

Document scanner etc.

HP have now decided to go down the route of seperate colour inks (something i liked with my old Cannon printer) as it makes more economical ink use and cheaper.
£40 for a full set of Genunine XL ink carts from HP ( to be fair the old XL carts on previous were about the same) and usually lasted about 6 months .
Ordered some compats from on offshore (VAT free) site i usually use for £20 with 100% money back if not satified .

The Jury is still out on those as they have not arrived yet and still on the supplied carts.
The printer itself connects ditect to HP site and there are apps that can be added or removed.

some great ones for the kids, Disney, Dreamworks, SoduKo, Crosswords.
All touch screen with now more eco freindly low power consumpotion , which is great as i never turn my printer off,lol
Built in FAX (which i will never use), Email anyone,lol

You can give your printer its own Email addy and can print from any device with Email access .
I still think thats novelty value , as who really takes photos on holiday and emails them back to your printer at home.
Yes it could have business value for remote doc printing.
You can use the eprint facility to print from any HP Eprint enabled printer, useful again in an office enviroment.

TBH this model is aimed more at the home user.

Be warned that HP still supply a very short Power lead to the HP power supply.
was a problem on the last HP officejet, simply resolved with a longer Kettle 3 pin type lead.
This time you will nead a 2 pin Figure 8 shaped lead as used on Portable stereos etc to solve the same problem.

HP do not and never supplied a USB lead out of the box ( a crap money saving excercise), although most wont be a problem if you already have an existing printer.

The printer can be Networked, so will cover most peoples needs.

The Jury is stil out on Wireless reliabilty (we will see), but given most reviews are not throwing up any problems yet (unlike older HP wireless printers) .
Lets face it HP have hads 3yrs to get it right!

Duplex printing (great), its an officejet after all and print speeds are fast as you would expect from this range.

My only gripe at the mo is that upon scanning it does not put the scans in auto date order (month and year), just puts them a single folder of your choice.
Trying to find a workaround for this, but might have to invest in some 3rd party scan software.
It wont bother the average home user, but as i scan all our time sheets and office docs from home to head office it will become a pain!
So sorry HP a backwards step on that small point!

Given that the last HP Officejet has given me 3yrs of trouble free printing & scanning (putting the useless intermittent wireless printing aside) , so its replacement will have alot to live up .

I have owned Numerous Epsons (all of which died) and I even Kill off £400 Cannon printers in time (mainly print head failure), so HP for me have Good build quality and the old one (still working will end up on Ebay or here even).

Sorry if this turned into more of a product review , but those that know me accept that i go on a bit,Lol

Last edited:
Sounds nice at a great price. Does it print on CD/DVD at all?

i have an lexmark x4650 its about £32 to replace both but does what i want, i allways use to use epson but the compatable inks where crap allways drying up if not used for a while.

Just an update on everyday use.
One thing to note that HP have decided to take a step backwards when scanning docs and not include software that auto saves in Date Folder etc.
Something that most Older Officejets have been able to do.
I have found a simple Free Utility that does the job better than the HP software ever did!
FJScan - FlashJet

brilliant for archiving scan docs and completely Free ! open source and works perfectly with Win7 64bit

Back