New Virus Blackmails Computer Owners

steviebhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Computer users are being warned about a new internet scam in which hackers hijack personal computer files and blackmail owners into buying passwords to unlock them.

The new phenomenon, known as ransomware, sees cyber-criminals hack into personal computers and encrypt valuable files with complex passwords.

Victims cannot access any of the files stored in their My Documents folder and are left with a chilling ransom note telling them not to contact police.

Nurse Helen Barrow fell victim to the new con in what is believed to be the first case in the UK.

Ms Barrow, 40, of Littleborough, near Rochdale, Greater Manchester was distraught when she discovered her files had vanished and replaced by one 30-digit password-protected folder.

She also found a new file named "instructions how to get your files back", which told her she would be given the password to access all her files if she bought drugs from an online pharmacy.

The frightened mother of two contacted police and an IT expert who managed to recover some of her files, which included work for her nursing degree.

The phenomenon first emerged in the US earlier this year and experts fear it is the start of a new trend in cyber-crime.

Ms Barrow, who works as a senior sister at Rochdale Infirmary, said: "When I realised what had happened, I just felt sick to the core.

"I was in shock. It was a horrible feeling and I thought I was going to lose all of my work.

"I had lots of family photographs and personal letters on the computer and to think that other people could have been looking at them was awful.''

A message appeared on her computer screen on May 1 telling her she had contracted an unnamed virus.

It is thought the message was part of the scam and she inadvertently downloaded the virus when she clicked on a pop-up pretending to provide her with an anti-virus programme.

IT expert Andy Sharples, from local computer support firm IT Doctor, managed to save some of the files after contacting US-based computer security firm LURHQ.

The virus is known as Arhiveus and victims are told to buy pharmaceutical drugs from an internet chemist thought to be based in Russia.

Earlier versions saw people ordered to pay cash to the attackers through online payment websites such as eGold or Webmoney.

Victims are told they will be emailed a password to access their computer files if they buy the drugs which cost upwards of £40.

the dudes that do this to people should have all their fingers chopped off.

then lets see them encrypt peoples stuff.

quote: we dont want to do you any harm.

well the feeling aint fu**ing mutual m8

mother fokers.it could only be gypsies trying to do this.

i seen that story mad ant it the only thing was she no got anysecurity at all good old my nortan should help her out

Back