New superbug hits the UK

fireblade

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2008
Messages
2,565
Reaction score
511
Health authorities may have declared the swine flu pandemic over but another bug has been found that is resistant to most antibiotics.

It has been discovered in 37 people in Britain who travelled to India or Pakistan to undergo surgery.

Scientists are now warning that tighter surveillance and new drugs are needed to tackle the bacteria that make an enzyme called NDM-1. It exists in different bacteria including E Coli.

Doctor David Livermore from the Health Protection agency says that the fear is it may attach itself to more dangerous diseases:

"What we're seeing here isn't the spread of a single superbug rather it is the spread of resistance between bacteria and this resistance includes the Carbapenems which have been the most powerful the most reliable antibiotics in many infections."

He added, "What's happening is that as this resistance spreads infections caused by these bacteria become much harder to treat."

The emergence of this superbug is being blamed on the increased number of overseas travellers and medical tourists.

But Doctor Michael Fitzpatrick says he doesn't think there is any cause for concern yet; "There is always a concern that new bugs might emerge and be resistant to antibiotics but its never happened and its not likely to happen this time either."

Researchers say its likely the superbug will spread worldwide as similar infections have been found in the US, Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Sweden.

New superbug hits the UK - Yahoo! News UK

HubbleSite - The Telescope - Hubble Essentials - Quick Facts
 

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2004
Messages
11,038
Reaction score
1,425
Location
The Penny Arcade
I blame Domestos, for years it has been killing 99% of all germs. the other 1% must be thriving on the stuff getting stronger building up and mutating.
 

oneman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
7,504
Reaction score
1,283
Location
Essex
Everything is too clinical these days. Kids don't get exposed to germs the way they used to. Antibiotics are handed out like smarties when they don't need to be and people do not finish the course allowing the bugs to evolve. Seeing at the bugs have a lifespan measured in days, it does not take long for them to evolve.
 

Audball

Banned
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
238
Reaction score
6
Location
Coatbridge
I blame Domestos, for years it has been killing 99% of all germs. the other 1% must be thriving on the stuff getting stronger building up and mutating.

PMSL

....Can't be any worse than Witchy's man flu..... swine flu is NOTHING on this. Lolol
 

snp-g

VIP Member
VIP Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
2,516
Reaction score
577
maybe witchy's man flu's mutated and's out to get us. :)
 

happydayz

Inactive User
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
in a house
Everything is too clinical these days. Kids don't get exposed to germs the way they used to. Antibiotics are handed out like smarties when they don't need to be and people do not finish the course allowing the bugs to evolve. Seeing at the bugs have a lifespan measured in days, it does not take long for them to evolve.
your rite pal there handing Antibiotics out far too much and its not doing any good as people.s body,s are getting immune to the Antibiotics and not working right cause of the public taking them for colds,,sore throat,s etc when they dont need them..and also not finishing the coarse
 
TEST
Top