dabs

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all
can anyone point me in the right direction to network 2 comp
1 is xp pro
1 is xp home, both on sp2
I have a belkin 4 port cable/dsl router model f5d5231-4
at the moment am sharing internet connection fine, but want to network the comps for file sharing, uncertain whitch way to do it and don't want to mess it up
thanks for any help guys

On each machine go to control panel > network and internet connections > network setup wizard. Then follow the instructions on screen make sure you give all the computers the same workgroup or leave as mshome and when prompted select file and printer sharing when complete restart all machines.

dabs said:
hi all
can anyone point me in the right direction to network 2 comp
1 is xp pro
1 is xp home, both on sp2
I have a belkin 4 port cable/dsl router model f5d5231-4
at the moment am sharing internet connection fine, but want to network the comps for file sharing, uncertain whitch way to do it and don't want to mess it up
thanks for any help guys

Let us know how you get on, if the wizard does not do the jobbie I will talk you through the manual way

Capdan

cheers

thanks haxor
ran that wizard but am lost as to how to find files/printers that I want to share
capdan a walk through would be great thanks

To add files you wish to share open my computer then shared documents, files placed in these folders will be shared on the network. To access these shared folders on other machines go to start then my network places if my network places is not displayed go to start right click then select properties hit the customize button then the advanced tab scrool through the items untill you see my network places tick the box and then ok. To find a printer go to the add printer menu (start>control panel>printer and other hardware>add a printer) but this time instead of selecting a local printer select a network printer then browse for it !

If the above does not work then this will. Find out what the computer names are be right clicking my computer, select properties, computer name tab, you want the full computer name. Do this for both computers. I will use comp1 and comp2 as an example.

Find a folder on comp1 that you want to share, right click the folder, go in to sharing and security and enable file sharing (printers work exactly the same way)

On comp2 do the following. Start, run, \\comp1
You will now see all shares available on comp1 inc printers if you have shared them.
Obviously this method will work from comp1 to comp 2 and vice verse.

Now what you can do is map a network drive so if you fo in to my computer you will see a shared folder from the other computer as a virtual drive.

To do this go in to my computer, select tools, map network drive. Now ether browse or type in the path to the shared folder for example if you shared a folder on comp1 and called it mysharedstuff you would simply type in \\comp1\ mysharedstuff
This would be done on comp2 obviously. Then select a virtual drive letter, doesn’t matter what it is as long as it is not used. Best practice is to pick a high one

Hope this helps and has not confused matters

Capdan

capdan
no joy with the wizard, so tried it as you said, found a folder on both and set for sharing, went to start- run but no path to either comp found, checked comps names and made sure correct, tried to map a network, only files that showed up were on the comp that map network was being run on
totally lost now,
thanks anyway

That is strange…… ok plan B. Instead of using the computer name replace it with the computers ip address. Each computer will have a unique ip address. To find out what they are do the following. Start, run, cmd, ipconfig
After you have typed ipconfig in to the command prompt you will see a set of numbers for example 192.168.1.1

So continuing with the previous post we will now do \\192.168.1.1 or whatever your ip address is.

If this does not work then there is a problem with the network infrastructure. Very strange if you are already sharing an internet connection as you must have connectivity to both!

Let me know how it goes

p.s. if id does not work try pinging each computer. Example:- go to comp1 and do start, run, cmd, ping 192.168.1.1 or whatever the ip is. You should get a response

Capdan

Back