Network Media Player

faisalpandu

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am after a Network Media Player where i would like to put all my movies and photos on. Mkv and DivX. I can then access this media player from any of the 3 TV in my house and also my laptop.

If it could also have the capability of a bit torrent client installed within the media player

Could someone recommened a good media player that will be able to do this. Budget is £70 but could go to £90 if needed.

Thanks

Last edited:
are looking for something to only store the files (like a NAS unit) or something to store and playback by connecting it to TV (e.g. WD Live).

Also are your TV DNLA capable ?

Hi

That seems right but for NAS i am lookin at 1tb to store files. I have got a panasonic 50 inch plasma n a Sony 32 inch lcd which i think is dlna ( do u need this)

also gt to hv bit torrent support as well

Could you use a jailbroken apple tv2 and install xbmc? It'll connect to a nas and you can get bit torrent apps within xbmc

Unless you're going to lug it from room to room, or your TVs have the ability to play files on the netwrok, you'll still need some sort of player connected to the TVs to access the storage box.

Last edited:
Defo sounds like you're after 2 different devices here. How would u access the player from the other tvs unless they either had some sort of player attached or were dnla devices themselves. U need a NAS or a home server for the files/streaming around your home network - then a small streaming device for the tvs if they aren't dnla compatible. The laptop will be fine as it can use vlc or any other streaming app

Right totally understand

Is the above NAS box a good option. With regards to a media player which one would you recommend. Popcorn Hour is a name that has been branded about? Any Good. Any other options as all files would be stored on NAS box and not on the media player bought. Also support for MKV and subtitles needed.

P.S I hv a VU+ Duo conncted to one tv and PS3 connncted to another. Would these pick up the NAS box. Playback on DivX on Vu is crap (has it been sorted) and PS3 cannot playback MKV

What do u reckon best option?

TVs are not DLNA

Thanks

You need to check what network connectivity your TVs have. If you need a network playback device then WD Live can be had for around £75.

For storage you can get a basic NAS which only does storage or something more advanced like synology which supports bittorrent, nzb, ftp, http downloads and also has DLNA, http, ftp and other services

Synology DS211j 2-bay - No HDD - NAS Enclosure (No HDD Installed): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Don't forget there are other DNLA clients such as PS3 and some blu-ray players.

If none of the TVs or your other devices support DNLA (with the exception of the PS3 and laptop), I'd be looking at building low power, always-on mediaserver/HTPC to connect directly to one of the "non-PS3" TVs. Add a jailbroken Apple TV2 running XBMC to the other non-PS3 connected TV. Then use TVersity to stream .MKVs etc to the PS3 and Apple TV2.

if you want a media streamer for around £100 to £125 you can get a second hand SFF PC off ebay and throw in a £30 low profile HD video card. You now have streaming capability plus all the power of having a PC like online service

If none of the TVs or your other devices support DNLA (with the exception of the PS3 and laptop), I'd be looking at building low power, always-on mediaserver/HTPC to connect directly to one of the "non-PS3" TVs. Add a jailbroken Apple TV2 running XBMC to the other non-PS3 connected TV. Then use TVersity to stream .MKVs etc to the PS3 and Apple TV2.

With regards to apple tv2 i have seen sum on fleabay but wondering which version the firmware needs to be on to be jailbroken. This would be an option for a media player with XBMX

Back