Netgear Wireless problems

mei

Inactive User
Reaction score
could anyone tell me if they know how to wirelessly connecting a pc to a Netgear DG834G router, . apparently it wont connect to an XP pc

yes they will if you follow the set up thats on the cd that come with the router
so long as its the correct one ie bt phone line requires a modem router
cable requires a router

if you pm me i will send you the instructions for your adsl modem router (ie for a bt phone line)
if that helps

Wireless isn't dependant on the phone line provider. If you know the netgears ssid and whether there is any security on the router you can go from there. If you've got encryption on the router you'll need the key. If theres mac security then you'll have to add your wireless cards mac address to the router, if the SSID is hidden you'll need to enter it manually onto the device connecting to it.

Do you know how the router is configured???

mkmagik786 said:
Wireless isn't dependant on the phone line provider. If you know the netgears ssid and whether there is any security on the router you can go from there. If you've got encryption on the router you'll need the key. If theres mac security then you'll have to add your wireless cards mac address to the router, if the SSID is hidden you'll need to enter it manually onto the device connecting to it.

Do you know how the router is configured???

how do you conect the device in the first place
if as you say they are not phone line provider depentant
and why would they supply 2 differant types

type 1 adsl
type dsl wireless links can only be set up after firstly
conecting by wire
unless you are acessing a wireless access piont in which
case you don't need a router at all

The internet connection connects to your DG834G - whether its cable or BT line. I beleive the DG834G is only BT Line and not cable compatible anyway.

You connect the device via an RJ45 connection to a PC/laptop directly. Once the device is configured through the RJ45 connection and wireless set up you can connect your wireless devices. Wireless and broadband are two completely different things - Broadband is a wired connection to whatever it is whether its a modem a router or a wireless router through your telephone line.

Wireless is the connection to a wireless device whether it be an access point or a wireless router. Wireless is not dependant on Internet connectivity. You can easily have a wireless network setup without internet entirely, for say communication between different devices in the home or office. Its the ADSL modem part of the DG834G the enables the internet connection and not the wireless.

So to configure from scratch. Plug a pc or laptop into the netgear via RJ45 and navigate to the default http address of the device - which i believe is 192.168.1.1. You will probably need to set your network cards IP to something on the same address range (192.168.1.10 for example with a default gateway of 192.168.1.1). Now configure the device as you wish, for braodband enter your ISPs details including username and password for dialup. Now navigate to the wireless section and configure this. If you enable it and leave it unsecured then any wireless device can pick up the signal as long as you choose the right SSID on the wireless laptop/pc. If you choose WEP then you need to enter a key and remeber the key you've used to connect to o the PC/Laptop. If you choose MAC address security then you need to get the MAC address of the wireless cards connecting to the router and enter these. Both of the above will still allow you to see the wireless signal via the SSID name.
Now the final security you can put in place is to hide the SSID, this means you cannot see the wireless network at all and you have to manually configure your wireless card to connect to the hidden SSID.

I hope this makes things a little clearer.

Most netgear routers default IP address is 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 username is admin password is 1234. If the unit is second hand then there should be a reset button located on the rear ( usually recessed) hold it in with a pen of pencil for about 10 seconds with the power on and everything should reset to the factory defaults. After resetting it connect via the rj45 as mkmagik says open explorer and type in the IP address ( To find the IP address of the router click start, run in run type cmd and perss enter, when the doss box appears type in ipconfig /all and you should see a list of numbers one which will be your gateway or router)From there you should be able to use the web interface to check the settings for the wireless connection.

Back