Netflix FAQ

little_pob

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
What is Netflix?
Netflix is a subscription IPTV service, streaming films and TV shows.

What does it cost?
£5.99 per month.
€6.99 per month (currently Ireland appears to be the only Eurozone country with a Netflix service).
$8 per month.

Any special offers?
30 day free trial.
Can occasionally be found on the various cash back sites.

How do I watch?
On your Windows or OS X computer via Netflix.com. There are apps for Windows Phone, Android and iOS devices, as well as Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles. Netflix is also supported on a number of smart TVs, Blu-Ray players and other media devices such as Roku and Western Digital TV Live.

Can I view content from international versions of Netflix?
Yes. To view the US version of Netflix in your browser you can use a plugin such, as Media Hint or Hola, or change your DNS settings. On your console, you'll have to change the DNS settings. For devices that don't allow users to change DNS settings you might be able to change them on your router instead. For more details see here: Netflix USA on UK equipment

If you so wish you can use these methods to sign up via the US Netflix for $8 per month. Just be aware of any currency exchange charges applicable to your payment method.

What are the alternatives/comparables?
Now TV (Movie and Entertainment passes)
LoveFilm Instant

Anything else?
Currently, Netflix is not officially supported on Linux. Support is expected when they switch to HTML5, which won't be until W3C add DRM to the HTMLMediaElement. Until then, there are ways to get it to work: How to watch Netflix (Watch Instantly) in Linux - a great resource for How To's from Wikia

Last edited by a moderator:
Should probably mentioned that there are ways to access the US version of netflix for $8 a month and has a lot more content.

Hi, i have a uk account but do from time to time editing dns settings to get the us content, should i really of signed up to a us account ?

Hi, i have a uk account but do from time to time editing dns settings to get the us content, should i really of signed up to a us account ?

Can you access US content with UK account ?

Hi, yes i have done if i edited the dns settings, last time i did it was maybe 2 weeks ago, shows alot more and better content than the uk netflixs, but just wondering if its wise to do it,

Hi, yes i have done if i edited the dns settings, last time i did it was maybe 2 weeks ago, shows alot more and better content than the uk netflixs, but just wondering if its wise to do it,

thats fine, I know about the DNS change (there are utilities to do this), I was just wondering if a UK account could access premium content on the US site, looks like it can.

Back