National - Aintree

leemoo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, any tips for Aintree on Friday please?

Get your money on a horse called V-NEC at 16/1. It's apparently a very good jumper.

Backstage for me :)

Been looking at this horse a lot in the last week, Elliot has been going well this season with his horses, I'll have money on it but there's 1 or 2 others I'm going to look at tonight when I get in from work and do a bit of studying. One tip I will provide, it's always a good idea to back a horse that has previously ran and finished in the National. I'm looking at State of Play which hasn't ran since last year in The National but I've backed it the last twice. Blueseas Cracker is an interesting entry, I backed this last year to win the Irish National, came in at 33/1 and a favourite trainer of mine Wullie Mullins has the favourite The Midnight Club but favourites have a shocking record in the National.

Here are some more tips:

1. Weight is critical to Grand National Success

Hedgehunter became the first winner since Corbiere to carry over 11st to victory. A pound here or there over 11st should not be a major worry but do not bet on a horse to win if it carries over 11st 3lbs. The simple fact is only one other horse in history has managed to win with that kind of weight and that was Red Rum! The 2008 Grand National winner, Comply or Die, weighed 10-09 and the 2009 winner, Mon Mome, weighed 11-00!

2. Stamina is a major factor

The Grand National is a grueling race for any horse but only those with experience winning at over 3 miles can be expected to be in the running at the end of this race. Not all horses entered will actually have won in previous races over long distances but try to pick one that has at least finished and placed in one. Don't rule out horses that have previously entered and completed the Grand National, even if they finished nowhere.

3. The age of the horse is very important

Experience counts for much in the National. Eleven out of the last 17 winners were aged ten or above but nine is the new ten and horses are so well trained now that nine year olds are very much in favour. First, second and third place in both the 2008 and 2009 Grand Nationals were all nine years old. Eight is a little on the young side and don't back any seven year olds as it's been 67 years since one won and few even finish the course!

4. Nationality of the horse

Previously I would have suggested that you forget the French bred horses and despite the tremendous win from Mon Mome in 2009, I still stand by that because regardless of what people may say, they just can't go the distance in this race. Irish and British horses are specifically trained day in and day out, all year around, for this kind of steeplechase so go with one of them!

Summary

Every now and then a major upset happens at the Grand National and the rule book goes out the window but if you want to give yourself the best chance of picking a winner then consider these tips...

Go for a nine/ten year old horse that weighs approx. 10-07 to 11 stone, who has run and finished at least one previous race of at least three miles, entered with an experienced jockey and, if possible, make it Irish or British!

Best of luck oh and I'll be back with my final tip/s tonight or tomorrow morning.

1. Weight is critical to Grand National Success

Hedgehunter became the first winner since Corbiere to carry over 11st to victory. A pound here or there over 11st should not be a major worry but do not bet on a horse to win if it carries over 11st 3lbs. The simple fact is only one other horse in history has managed to win with that kind of weight and that was Red Rum! The 2008 Grand National winner, Comply or Die, weighed 10-09 and the 2009 winner, Mon Mome, weighed 11-00!

On the whole I tend to agree but don't forget that last year Don't Push it carried 11-5 to victory. I think with the ground drying a bigger weight will be easily possible. It wouldn't surprise me if he went in again this year to be honest. I think he'll run a good race. Another with a big weight is Tidal Bay. Running on well at the end of the Gold Cup, sound jumper; can't see why he is around the 40-1 mark and What A Friend is only 12's. State of Play has to come into it to, but I still like Backstage. I think the trainer has placed him well in a couple of point to points this year so as not to affect his handicap mark.

So in summary, the result will be...
Backstage
Tidal Bay
Don't Push It
State of Play
... or maybe it won't ;)

So in summary, the result will be...
Backstage
Tidal Bay
Don't Push It
State of Play
... or maybe it won't ;)

If only it was that easy mate.

I'll be backing The Tother one e/w and backstage as Mr Elliot the trainer is very keen on its chances

I have put £20 on Hard to See at 50-1 it has a great chance of getting placed I dont know why it has such a good price.

And I will have just stick a tenna on dont push it might get lucky :proud:

I'm gonna go with -

Backstage
Big Fella Thanks
West End Rocker

The Mrs picked Vic Venturi (Cos she likes what the jockeys wears!)

its bluesea cracker and silver by nature for me, best of luck folks......................................cheers

Ok in no particular order, here are my selections for the National:

Ballabriggs
Silver By Nature
Backstage
Big Fella Thanks
State Of Play

Too add, I haven't backed the National winner since Hallo Dandy back in 84 so don't read too much into my selections, lol

Good luck all

i always put a 40 quid in total bet on..i lucky in the national , never been down yet .
here are my bets ...

My first bet is i Always back the 5 rank outsiders for a £2 WIN
grand slam hero 100/1
piraya 100/1
quolibet 150/1
santas son 150/1
thats rhythm 150/1

that cost a tenner ...i now do 3 each way bets ...@ £5
Dont push it 10/1
Oscar time 12/1
Midnight club 9/1 FAV

total £40

heres to hoping a rank outsider wins....again ...i had mon mome in 2009...2 quid on at 100/1 !

Last edited:
Back