Nas raid 5

Shindig

DW Regular
Reaction score
If a NAS is setup with 3 or more HD in a RAID 5 configuration, from a "user ensuring his data is safe" perspective, RAID 5 provides that integrity.

Scenarios.
You keep your data on JBOD - disk fails. Data lost.
RAID 5 - one disk fails - data still safe. Disk replaced and the array is rebuilt
NAS fails - data lost. (although Shindig is in IT and knows to take a tape backup of things like photos...movies can be re-downloaded *wink*)

Guys, anyone been in this situation with a NAS drive. A disk has failed, panic sets in but then calm because you are utilising RAID 5

Thanks for looking.

Are you using software / BIOS RAID 5 or hardware RAID 5.

Though software RAID 5 does work its slower and there are more chances of things going wrong. I've RAID 5 within windows in the past and managed to recover from a single disk failure but rebuilt times are long and the server was very slow while it happened. Also if you lose your motherboard then it can be tricky to recover the array if you have to re-install windows. Don't know if this applies to NAS devices as well.

Pure NAS device. Was wondering if I would need to take another archive copy of data. Or if RAID provides enough redundancy.

Sent from my GT-I9100

RAID is not a replacement or substitute for a backup. It provides a certain level of assurance but shouldn't be the primary recovery mechanism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have added into the plan an ext USB drive that I would use as a secondary backup device of data I would not want to loose at all.

Sent from my GT-I9100

RAID is fine protecting against a dead disk (assuming you have alerting setup and notice it) but does not protect against hardware failure in the controller or PC. It also does not protect against virus attack, or against O/S failure.

Back