Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

mp3 problems!!!help needed

dandare

Inactive User
hey folks my mps player has went wonky, it's a venturer 40gb from argos, nothing fancy it's about the size of a old scholl walkman. when i try to power it up the display lights and then dies, you can hear the hd spinning? like a dodgy cd that won't play. any ideas if it's completely fecked or could be saved. i've opened it up, cause i like doing things like that, even though i haven't got a clue about the workings! just in case it was something glaringly obvious.
ta.

has it still got argos warranty?

has the HD got any type of connection (usb, sata etc) so you can connect it to a pc and download the files off it before it goes totally dead

if it's still under warranty then take it back, or give venturer a call. Sounds like it could be knacked tho.
it's one of the problems with these them tho compaired to a flash drive mp3 player with no moving parts.

sorry i meant to say that as per, it's just outside the warranty, 2/3 months.
it can connect to the pc via usb but won't do it with the current problem, just makes the whirring sound as if it's trying to read something but nought happens.
i did see the h/d for sale at about 12 quid but i don't know if it'd be a straight swap over or not, i don't mind loosing the tunes they're all on my pc.
i think i still have the box, i may have to just chance it with argos.

Hmmm, reminds me of similar problem I had with my laptop hard drive. The motor in the hard disk worked but the laptop power light used to come on and then fade out and power off. After some vigorous testing and dismantling, I found a loose connection on the power input on the board (because of tugging I'm assuming), anyway after soldering it worked fine.

I think its worth checking if all the connectors are secure.

1 option is to order the EXACT same hard disk try it in the unit: if it works - job done, otherwise return the disk (get a refund) as it could be a power issue

mate if its a matter of buying a new HD for about £20 then thats you best option and install it yourself, it pretty easy and sounds like you know how to fit it and take it apart anyway

when u say its out side the warranty, do u mean 12 months ?

if so think again there is 1 bit of legislation with europe we did sign up to its to do with consumer protection and there is not very much about it in the public domain. it says if there is an inherant fault with something then u can have your money back and i think it is for 6 years.

i will dig out the artical and photo copy and post up here, it wont be tonight cos ive gotta find it and im a bit wobbly (ha ha ) so ill write myself an note and scan it for tomorrow.

try the usuall was apreasent hence u dont have recipt but it was only 11 months etc etc if that dont work then it may be letters to customer services, u will get a result.......

found it, the artical is about a laptop but it holds good for anything realy...

Last edited:
just buy a new HD m8, its got to be a piece of pi55 to replace.

Even if you are worried in case you do it wrong, i sm sure you will know someone thats comfortable doing it.

let this thread slip away till i needed to use the h/d so if i order the exact same hd, is it a plug in and play job or will there be software of sorts, from the manufacturer, to make it play. i'm happy enough taking things apart but i not too clued up on how it actually works.

Back