Moving phone point... is it hard?

krazylegz

Inactive User
Reaction score
When I got BT Infinity installed they have to put it on the first telephone point, which in my case is in my girls bedroom upstairs.

However I don't want all them wires up there as the little one is starting to be a nightmare and touch everything.

Is it possible to move that main point to down stairs behind my tv, that way the router can go there and TV, DVD player and sky box can all be connected to the router too.

The line from the BT line is attached to the wall, it then goes into the loft, so I'm thinking intercept it in the loft somewhere and bypass the the one in the bedroom, extend the cable somehow to go down the wall outside and into the house behind tv.

cheers

It is essentially just two wires. Yes easy enough to move. Bear in mind that the responsibility of the infrastructure provider ends at the master socket.

In my opinion it would be better to divert cable to sitting room instead of going to loft. If possible. Saves issues in case of faults.

They only install it on the main point to eliminate possible issues with extensions - do you have another hard-wired point somewhere in the house?

There's a better than 90% chance it will just work somewhere else so you have nothing to lose by trying it :)

Just my 2p worth i did a similar job for a customer last year who needed his main moving to another part of his new built extension, with him having infinity i knew that standard telco extension cable would not be good enough as the run was around 10 meters long. Luckily i have family that work in BT so i sourced some main overhead line cable which is the correct one to use, Gel crimped into the main socket and moved it to the other side of his house.

I would imagine if yours is only a short run then you could use standard Telco extension cable, or better still if you have a point downstairs then just rewire so that the bedroom is the extension and the downstairs is the main

Tbh it's probably going to be between 7-10m by the time it runs out of the other side of the loft then down the wall and back in.

I rang a local telecoms guy who said £95 for the first hour but couldn't say how long it will take him.

I had a look in my socket upstairs and there is 2 cables running to it, a white cable then a black one, I am right in thinking one of them ( black ) will be Internet side and the white one the telephone side?

Can you buy the good quality cable from the likes of screwfix?

Sent from my iPhone using fingers and thumbs!

Telephone and internet use same pair of cables.

The black one would be the one from outside, the white will be going to an extension. If ever in doubt disconnect one at a time.

Feel free to pm/post diagram of layout.

Telephone and internet use same pair of cables.

The black one would be the one from outside, the white will be going to an extension. If ever in doubt disconnect one at a time.

Feel free to pm/post diagram of layout.

Ah that will make sense as I think the white one will be the extension to the current one that's in the living room but in the complete opposite side of the room.

Sent from my iPhone using fingers and thumbs!

Well its pretty easy then LOL, if the extension is in the place you want it you just take the main 2 from the upstairs feed and connect to 2 from the 3 pair depending on which Telco cable has been used then downstairs connect 2 at the rear and then 3 in the pull off front extension part and feed these back upstairs as the extension.

You will of course have to remove the Infinity wall plate from upstairs and place this downstairs no panic there as it just slots in.

Now the other part this will only work if A: the extension cable used has 3 pair (6 Wires) if its thin Telco then it could just be 2 pair which is no good and B: your extension socket downstairs is a full size socket and not one of the smaller extension sockets.

Regards

Wouldn't it be easier to just do what BT would do? Run an extension cable from the master to wherever - I think they allow 30m for this? Then if you have any issues your original installation is unchanged.

BT would run a cable (CAT5 equivalent but thinner as mentioned in previous posts), crimp on an RJ45 connector to the master socket and terminate in a faceplate where you wanted it. You could krone inside the master socket for neatness.

Back