motorway driving

dekman

Inactive User
Reaction score
in the uk we learn to drive at 17. whilst a learner you cant go over 30mph on public roads.

pass your test first time at 17 or even worse take a week long crash course to pass your test.

now you have passed you can go on the motorway and drive at 70mph and may have no idea how a car handles or how the blind spot affects you etc.

everyday we have pile ups and people getting killed. insurance is through the roof and what do the government do? allow the police to spend a load of money on a 3d laser device to scan the scene of an accident so the motorway can be re-opened more quickly.

why not have a motorway test?
why not make it so you have to have driven for so many hours to gain experience before you can drive on your own? (you have to do this to be pilot)
why not have to take your test every 5 years as a refresher? cars change quickly and so do the roads.

sick of spending my time sat on motorways in tailbacks due to accidents caused by people who cant drive properly

Seems mental that you don't have to be motorway trained to drive! It wouldn't be so hard for an instructor to take you on one for a few hours before you can take your test or is it considered too dangerous?!

...whilst a learner you cant go over 30mph on public roads.

Not true, as a learner you can drive up to the speed limit of the road you're on. They can drive up to 70mph on a dual carriageway

Not true, as a learner you can drive up to the speed limit of the road you're on. They can drive up to 70mph on a dual carriageway

Indeed :)

You can drive upto the limit of the road you are on.

I do agree slightly tho that learners should have to have at least 2 hours of lessons with motorway driving of entering, leaving and changing lanes on a motorway.

Hmm, such is the fine line between equality and giving stupid people a licence...

Why not make this scheme compulsory once you have passed your driving test before being allowed to drive on a Motorway. At the moment it is only an option which in my opinion is wrong new drivers just haven't got enough experience.
https://www.gov.uk/pass-plus/overview

More money for some quango? Why not just have to stick a P plate on for 12 months and limited to 60mph?

More money for some quango? Why not just have to stick a P plate on for 12 months and limited to 60mph?

This idea does not give new motorist any idea about motorway driving though does it?. All it does is warn us to keep out of there way.

With miggy on the pass plus. My daughter done it and got 50% of the fee back from the local council for it and got 30% off her insurance as well as some potentialy life saving driving skills. Well worth doing and should be made compulsory

With miggy on the pass plus. My daughter done it and got 50% of the fee back from the local council for it and got 30% off her insurance as well as some potentialy life saving driving skills. Well worth doing and should be made compulsory

Spot on mate it may cost money for the course but you certainly get it back in other ways as you say. When my daughter passes her test we are going to make sure she does this scheme that way we know she is a safer driver and we get a good nights sleep without the worry.

Spot on mate it may cost money for the course but you certainly get it back in other ways as you say. When my daughter passes her test we are going to make sure she does this scheme that way we know she is a safer driver and we get a good nights sleep without the worry.

Yes its not only motorway driving, They do country roads night driving etc

Yes its not only motorway driving, They do country roads night driving etc

Just what new motorists need, lots of experience. Make it part of the driving test, it will do us all a favour.

The 'compulsory' bit gives me a problem, the benefits to encourage people to do it gives me a warm feeling :)

I suppose if insurance companies offer good discounts for pass plus then that should be incentive enough to young drivers as it could potentialy save them hundreds of £'s

The 'compulsory' bit gives me a problem, the benefits to encourage people to do it gives me a warm feeling :)

If it was made compulsory then they will have no option but to take the pass plus or no full driving licence you do the theory, you pass your basic car driving then the pass plus one. All one package deal. Nice and simple H :)

Last edited:
If it was made compulsory then they will have no option but to take the pass plus or no full driving licence you do the theory, you pass your basic car driving then the pass plus one. All one package deal. Nice and simple H :)

I'm just an awkward tw@t lol ;)

Seems mental that you don't have to be motorway trained to drive! It wouldn't be so hard for an instructor to take you on one for a few hours before you can take your test or is it considered too dangerous?!

The practical problem with this idea is that many people learn to drive in parts of the country which are nowhere near a motorway.

The practical problem with this idea is that many people learn to drive in parts of the country which are nowhere near a motorway.

Perhaps that makes it even more important, because they will not have encountered the type of drivers that sometimes inhabit the motorways.
Those learning to drive in areas away from motorways are probably learning to drive so that they can reach those areas with motorways.

Back