MOT advice

Matt-LivUniSkydivers

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of fixing some bits on my Peugeot 206 ready for its MOT, but I've noticed that one of the 2 rear numberplates lights is missing its plastic cover. The bulb still works, but does anyone know if this would still be a fail?

Might try visiting a local scrappy if anyone thinks it might be an issue, its just a pain for one little part.

as long as the light work and is still in position it should be fine.

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of fixing some bits on my Peugeot 206 ready for its MOT, but I've noticed that one of the 2 rear numberplates lights is missing its plastic cover. The bulb still works, but does anyone know if this would still be a fail?

Might try visiting a local scrappy if anyone thinks it might be an issue, its just a pain for one little part.

Long as it does what it is there to do, you should be ok. It would be a pass and advise.

thebigman

i would have to say no it would not pass a mot with out the cover ,The cover will give the light direction without the cover ,the light will spread and could dazzle other road users

So I for one would be surprised if it passed

i would have to say no it would not pass a mot with out the cover ,The cover will give the light direction without the cover ,the light will spread and could dazzle other road users

So I for one would be surprised if it passed

Think this is correct. Its illigal to have white light showing at the back. If it fails you have 2 weeks to get the stuff sorted and take it back for a free re-test so take your chance. Just hope if it does fail thats all it fails on. :Fish::Fish:

Showing a white light directly to the rear would be a valid reason for rejection if thats the case. Here is a link directly to the relevant page in the mot inspection manual. Reason 5 a to f are the only valid reasons for rejection for the registration lamps. So if the lamp works and is not directly showing a white light to the rear its a pass and advise.

You can browse the entire testers manual from that link if there is anything else you want to check out. first column is the items to be tested, centre column is the method of inspection and the right hand column is the reasons for rejection. You navigate through with the icons at the top.

thebigman

Its 10 working days now for a retest.

Last edited:
Showing a white light directly to the rear would be a valid reason for rejection if thats the case. Here is a link directly to the relevant page in the mot inspection manual. Reason 5 a to f are the only valid reasons for rejection for the registration lamps. So if the lamp works and is not directly showing a white light to the rear its a pass and advise.

You can browse the entire testers manual from that link if there is anything else you want to check out. first column is the items to be tested, centre column is the method of inspection and the right hand column is the reasons for rejection. You navigate through with the icons at the top.

thebigman

Its 10 working days now for a retest.

your probalby right but in this day and age its all about money so unless the examiner had a bj the night before
he wants to make money i'm guessing it fail or he will offer (for a charge) to fix it. just my thoughts :Fish:

If he lives near a council run station they don't do repairs so no incentive to fail. Also you can appeal if you don't agree with the failure, I appreciate that most people won't want the hassle. here is a link to money saving expert's list of council run stations.

thebigman

Cheers for the replies guys. I have been looking for a council test centre but the nearest one is about 25 minutes drive away, i.e. a bit of a hassle if it fails. I think I'll try and get hold of a lamp cover, 2 people in work drive 206's so I could try and borrow one :p

Also, I know the car needs 2 new tires at the rear so its needs taking to a garage for that. I'd like to think if they were getting money for that they wouldn't try and screw me over a minor imperfection, but these are garages we're talking about. I kinda know a guy who runs a garage so I think I'll take it there as I feel I can trust him. (Unlike the last garage i took my car to who quoted me £600 to fix a list of problems the length of my arm, only to later find out on personal inspection that they'd made half of the issues up from thin air!)

Thought I'd provide a quick update to complete this thread.

My car passed its MOT today without the cover for the numberplate bulb, and only failed due to a corroded brake pipe (and I knew they were looking a bit flaky anyway). :Clap:

Back