most likely cause of pc not to post

damage

Inactive User
Reaction score
what is the most likely reason a system would not post this is back to my old problem i have put a new ram in so can exclude that i have just put re-seated the cpu and cleaned the heatsink base and added a new layer thermal compound which has stopped the system from shutting down so there must have been a issue there i have tried a different graphics card pulled from this system so what is left mobo and cpu ? i think my system does not have bios beeps that is why i do not recive them. but would not haveing a floppy in the drive be read first as its the first boot device i would have thought so but it does not so would this point more towards the mobo that the cpu ? i have fiited a empty but formatted hard drive but as the system does not post was unable to do much with that lol psu is 550watt replaced about 3 months ago and have run the system with just the harddrive connected the whole system is only just over 1 year old

what is the most likely reason a system would not post this is back to my old problem i have put a new ram in so can exclude that i have just put re-seated the cpu and cleaned the heatsink base and added a new layer thermal compound which has stopped the system from shutting down so there must have been a issue there i have tried a different graphics card pulled from this system so what is left mobo and cpu ? i think my system does not have bios beeps that is why i do not recive them. but would not haveing a floppy in the drive be read first as its the first boot device i would have thought so but it does not so would this point more towards the mobo that the cpu ? i have fiited a empty but formatted hard drive but as the system does not post was unable to do much with that lol psu is 550watt replaced about 3 months ago and have run the system with just the harddrive connected the whole system is only just over 1 year old

Floppy check comes later on in the POST.
First things that are checked are CPU and memory, since you replaced/reseated them i take it
that they are ok. If there would be any problems with CPU and memory, there definitely would
be a bios beep, since this is standard on all boards since beginnig of the 90's or even a bit earlier. Vendors included them for diagnostic reasons back then.

Most likely the mobo itself went to silicon heaven, pretty sure about that. To rule out a short circuit not allowing the board to post, try to fire up the machine with board and devices outside the case on some newspaper or something u can get hold of which is not metallic. Just connect mobo/cpu/memory/graphics card and see what happens.

THat u do not receive any bis beeps might also be down to the speaker connector on the mainboard, probably plug not seated properly or wrong direction. Might wanna check that
as well m8

thx m8 i thing i have just found the reason for no bios beeps there is no fecking inturnal speaker lol i will rob one off another pc and see if a get any beeps then lol

Aight m8, if it beeps lemme know what is says or beeps, as well as what BIOS u have on that
board (AMI, Awar, Phoenix, etc.)

if i have this right this is a fault looking for the first 64k of memory seeing as i have replaced the ram and have had it in the first slot plus the other 2 as well and the ram is new its looking like the mobo unless the new ram is duff as well but would think its most likely mobo ???

Yepp, 3 beeps is a fault in the 64k.
If possible put RAM into a second machine, and see if that one fires up.
Personally i think it's very unlikely that it's a ram failure, pretty much
convinced that the mobo is gone for good.

lol to be honest i was hopeing it was the mobo rather than the cpu as its a 2.8 barton i may get a Asrock K7VT6 if i am going to put in a new mobo as it supports 400ddr better than the board i have now thx for the help m8 just hope i don't get the mobo and find the new ram is at fault i don't think that i can put 400ddr ram in a board that don't support it can i ??

lol to be honest i was hopeing it was the mobo rather than the cpu as its a 2.8 barton i may get a Asrock K7VT6 if i am going to put in a new mobo as it supports 400ddr better than the board i have now thx for the help m8 just hope i don't get the mobo and find the new ram is at fault i don't think that i can put 400ddr ram in a board that don't support it can i ??

Theoretically yes, but won't run at 400MHz then, would run fastest possible speed so should be running 333MHz. Will have a look at that 64K error and see if there's a way to determine if it's memory, mobo or cpu. Hang in there :)

Ok, checked a couple of pages, all stating that the 64K error is definitely caused by the memory, so according to them it's not the board. The bios performs a walking bit test on the first 64K memory for the BIOS vector area, and if that test fails u get those 3 beeps.

Anyhoo....would be worth checking the memory in a different computer, see if it's working there or you get the same error before forking out for a new mobo then

thx m8 i will try it in this pc i am on now and see how it goes its only a 900 amd so it may not like the ram but worth a try

it did not fit m8 on this old board the slots have 2 recesses in the ram and the 400 ddr only has one so you can not fit the 400ddr into the slots i did manage to get one stick in sort of but the top click would not lock and the ram got very hot

That's why i said theoretically, if you don't get them in properly do not
use force. Other board probably only supported SD-Ram, not DDR-Ram.Slightly different slot-layout, also only 164pins instead of 184. If the board you tried them on doesn't support them then there is no way
u can test if it's the memory. Unless u got some nice neighbours that would dismantle
their PC and put your memory in.

From what i've seen so far on other forums it's most likely the memory rather then
the board, so have them exchanged for new memory and see if that makes a difference.
If the new memory won't let the machine fire up i think it's down to the board then.

i think it may be the board m8 i thought the same at first memory thats why i went i got a new stick of ram got 512meg of 400ddr guess i should have just got a smaller stick but was sure that it was ram so needed at least 512meg but find it a bit hard now to think that the old ram and new are both faulty so think it has to be mobo i just read somewhere that if you removed all ram then you would get something other than 3 beeps but i think thats crap because if you remove all ram then you would still get the 64k error but i tried it anyway lol and still got 3 beeps

Aight m8, then fork out for a new board. Without memory it should give you some long beeps tho rather then 3 short ones, so maybe that walking bit test within the BIOS itself is fooked

Go for a board then, completely without memory it should beep long, no matter what bios vendor. So as i said above it might be the bit test which is started during POST. Would be a corrupt bios then

Back