Moon rise on Sunday will be a ‘supermoon’

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The moon will be the biggest and brightest for 20 years because it will reach the point where it is closest to earth (called perigee) at the same time as it becomes full.Then on Tuesday, the Perseid meteor shower will climax with a show of “fireballs as bright as Jupiter or Venus”. With optimum conditions, it is usually possible to see more than 100 meteors an hour, but the full moon, however, could make the showers difficult to see.The events are the most dramatic for skywatchers.The moon will hit its full phase at 6.10pm GMT (7.10pm BST) on August 10.At perigee, the moon is around 31,000 miles closer to the earth than its most distant point and will be up to 14% larger and 30% brighter than other full moons during the year.The combination of the perigee and the full moon will not occur again until 2034.The comet Swift-Tuttle is responsible for the Perseid meteor shower it the comet leaves a trail of dust particles which hit the atmosphere at 140,000 mph and burn up, causing the streaking flashes of light.The meteors may be spotted between Saturday and Wednesday, but experts saying that Tuesday will see peak activity.

I will take a peek when I get up for a pee in the middle of the night,twas quite bright last night too,if only I had a decent camera,wont be the same on Ipad mini.......am in Spain so should be clear..

I will take a peek when I get up for a pee in the middle of the night,twas quite bright last night too,if only I had a decent camera,wont be the same on Ipad mini.......am in Spain so should be clear..

Well it rises around 20:30 your time tonight, ESE, it'll probably look huge! Try for a snap on the iPad, you never know!

I was busy last night so missed the full moon, but I got a snap of most of it tonight.

DSC_0253.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0256.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
(Second pic was a passing Thomson Airways plane headed from Marakesh to Gatwick!)

Hi Trev yes I saw it but to be honest ive seen it bigger on my early morning bike ride to work,must be my tired old eyes,cheers mate.......

14711781110_fa56dd50f0_z.jpg

Went out around 9 ish monday night to try my hand at my first moon, this was the best I could do, need a bit more practice methinks, not too bad though

Back