Monitor output dead - booo

hawkish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - got a pressario - about 16 months old. all of a sudden when I switch it on it boots normally and makes all the right sounds BUT the monitor output wont work - i get nothing.

Both the vga lead and monitor are tested with other equiptment and are working !

Did have it coming out of a geforce 6300 card PCIEXPRESS- I disconnected the card and plugged it in to the mobo's monitor output and still nothing - anyone got any ideas. Im stumped

thanks in advance

Sounds like its broken too me. does it not come with a 2 yr warranty?

ebuyer have some very cheap ones at the moment me mate just got 2x19" for £260

If you have taken out the card that you were running it from, you may have to turn the inbuilt VGA port back on again for it to work in the bios ?

It could be the motherboard or memory.

I've come across the problem a couple of times before. Once was the motherboard and the other time it was the memory. Check to see if you have diagnostic lights on the back of your machine or if it's making any unusal beep sequence to check what the problem might be.

Either way, easiest to try first is the memory. Try a different stick of RAM (or remove a stick if you have more than 1 and then try swapping over if no luck).

If that doesn't do it, I'd suspect the motherboard.

I like that idea - how can I change that with no picture though!

If that is the case, (I don't think I've ever seen that option in any system BIOS though), you can reset the BIOS with the jumper on the motherboard if you have your motherboard documentation or it's pretty obvious which jumper it is.

If you have removed the fsulty card than it will automatically default to the inbuilt card on the motherboard. You shouldn't need to do anything.

I have also seen mainboards in the past that have had jumpers for onboard graphics selection.

Its worth a look in the manual if you have one.

Hi guys - got a pressario - about 16 months old. all of a sudden when I switch it on it boots normally and makes all the right sounds BUT the monitor output wont work - i get nothing.

Both the vga lead and monitor are tested with other equiptment and are working !

Did have it coming out of a geforce 6300 card PCIEXPRESS- I disconnected the card and plugged it in to the mobo's monitor output and still nothing - anyone got any ideas. Im stumped

thanks in advance

All else fails mate, try a simple reinstall of windows, sometimes it works a treat, there again, sometimes it doesnt, but worth a try mate, thats what i would do.

When I put a computer together and had nothing on the monitor it was usually the memory, but if it was there were usually a beep warning to say something was wrong.
It could be that the VGA card may have become unseated try removing it and replace it.
If this does not work I would suspect the CPU or motherboard, the only trouble with your computer is it is difficult to replace the motherboard as they are not standard motherboards like most computers.
Hope it helps.

Also, something that will help diagnose it as the motherboard, if that is the problem, quite often, the capacitors on the board will be bulging outwards.

If you are using xp, and the pc is booted up it doesn't like monitor being plugged in afterwards. Plug monitor into built in vga, reboot and try to enter bios, if you see anything on your screen then your halfway there. Or remove cmos battery and reboot then it will default back to factory settings.

Thanks to you all

Thanks to everyone on this matter- have just had a go and can comnfirm that it was faulty DDR stick of memory. now replaced and fully working.

Thanks to everyone

Back