Money Scam

Dingodog

Inactive User
Reaction score
Recieved this today, it came with a zipped attachment containing a .exe file. Its got to be a scam no one at home has heard of valuehost.

Dear customer,

We have received a notice from your card service stating that there was a chargeback made by the owner of the card that
you paid for your account with. This is a very serious matter. I have deducted the amount of the chargeback, GBP 119.40,
from your account and added our standard fee of GBP 25.00 as well. (Now you can see your payment details in attachment.)

If there was some mistake, please let us know immediately so that we
can get this situation resolved. We ask that you have the chargeback
removed as soon as possible, as our account has already been debited for the amount in question.
If you would prefer to make your payment using a new payment
method that would be fine as well (you can use a different credit card or you may send a money order payable to
Valuehost).

This is a time sensitive issue and must be resolved promptly at the
request of the card service. Please email the billing team using the Web Administration Panel with information about how
you are going to deal with this situation.
I thank you for your time and hope to hear from you
soon.

See your payment details in attachment.

Sincerely,
Mark J. Burnett
Valuehost Billing Department
w**.valuehost.com

Hosting Operations Status

ALERT: Someone is sending spam email using our name (Valuehost)!

These emails are not from Valuehost. Do not respond to these emails or click on any links or attachments contained within them.

ALERT UPDATE (5:45 pm)

Thanks for the warning. I have just received the scam
mail that you exampled. It must be a drain on your resources.
PD
No drain on our side - fraudulent emails sent from infected computers around the globe. That's why we can't block it.

ALERT UPDATE (5:30 pm)

We've received email asking us for help:
Hello there,
Unfortunately my wife opened the attachment, after reading the e-mail, what did the 'exe' do to my pc?
And should I be worried?
I am using firefox as my web browser, and I am using windows xp's firewall.
I scanned the file with Norton antivirus with no result.

DO NOT OPEN the attached files but if you did:
after you open and run an infected program or attachment on your computer, you might not realize that you've introduced a virus until you notice something isn't quite right.
1st - you need to check your PC using well known anti-virus software (ex. http://download.drweb.com/drweb+cureit/)
2nd - send the attachment to anti-virus software developers for analysis (ex. http://support.drweb.com/sendnew/)

and more over on the value host website they say theyre under attack and a hacker is mass mailing users cheeky little twats! them little viruses are annoying too i had to reformat last time :Mad2:

OH NO!!! Flava you've got the "double Post" virus where you automatically double post the same thing twice! ;-)

how do i get rid of it? will i need to wip my hard drive? im gonna run a scan on it now...

Back