Mobo question

jasperconran

Inactive User
Reaction score
whats the best mobo about at the mo..? Ive been put off running a due core system coz ive heard mates with problems.

But i would like ddr1 so i can swap my current ram. and 3 min slots.. Any idears guys..?

whats about that will clock up nice..? i fancy building a fat pc.

AMD have joined Intel on the DDR2 bandwagon with their new AM2 CPUs.

However, socket 939 motherboards use DDR1. The MoBos and processors (dual and single core) are still readily available. Try (in no particular order) aria.co.uk, scan.co.uk, overclockers.co.uk, ebuyer.co.uk, even ebay.

Some MoBos can be a little fussy, and will only use paired RAM modules, i.e. both slots occupied, and don't even try running two different sizes in paired slots!

If its problems with games your mates are having, and they are using AMD X2 CPUs make sure they have the dual core driver and other utilities from AMD installed (downloadable from http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html). Sorted out my problems with GTA:SA.

Last edited:
Please please please dont try to keep your ddr1 in a new pc. I put 2 gig of ddr1 into a pc and benchmarked it, and it did far far worse than just 512meg of ram with ddr2. The performance is incredible, and you really notice the speed difference. Can i sggest a ddr1 and ddr2 motherboard. Asrock do a good few of them, and they are really handy if you want to upgrade slowly. core2 duo with ddr 2 is really fast! with ddr1 you would be bottlenecing the performance and it wouldnt rerally work out much faster for you! remember there is different speeds of ddr2, up to 800mhz now but i am referring to just 533.

Please please please dont try to keep your ddr1 in a new pc. I put 2 gig of ddr1 into a pc and benchmarked it, and it did far far worse than just 512meg of ram with ddr2. The performance is incredible, and you really notice the speed difference. Can i sggest a ddr1 and ddr2 motherboard. Asrock do a good few of them, and they are really handy if you want to upgrade slowly. core2 duo with ddr 2 is really fast! with ddr1 you would be bottlenecing the performance and it wouldnt rerally work out much faster for you! remember there is different speeds of ddr2, up to 800mhz now but i am referring to just 533.

Thanx for the replays

I can understand what your saying pal.... and at 130 quid a gig stick its worth thinking about..

i was looking at the nforce 600 mobos with sli and get a gforce 7800 vid card. But the cost is skyrocketting

Whats the better cpu to go for amd or intel ..?

Go for one of the E6*** series Intels and you'll be laughing m8. They are easily overclocked, and even on air cooling remain stable (Zalman CNPS7700 flower cooler highly recommended). The 'downside' is you will have to get some DDR2.

Go for one of the E6*** series Intels and you'll be laughing m8. They are easily overclocked, and even on air cooling remain stable (Zalman CNPS7700 flower cooler highly recommended). The 'downside' is you will have to get some DDR2.

Ive been reading loads Since i Lasted posted.. And Have come round to building A new rig.

This is the mobo Im looking at. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-001-BG

But what cpu would u Guys fit in.. I was looking at this one. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-129-IN.

But im looking at the 8800 gtx coz off the DirectX® 10

Looks fine m8.

Mobo specs say its supports Core 2 Duo CPUs.

CPU specs says its compatible with socket 775 mobos.

If you've got an older PCI-e GFx card, I'd hold off on the 8800GTX for now. At least until some DX10 games actually come out... (or a DX10 patch for BF2 ;)) If you haven't already got a PCI-e GFx card go for the 8800GTX I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Back