Build advice Mobo Advice

Tamarc

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Because you've gone for a K series I'm assuming you want to overclock? As such you'll need a Z series chipset, and the Z97 chipset has just launched ;)

There are 2x Asus Z97 mobos in your price range. The Z97-K (~£100) and Z97-C (~£115).

However, based purely on reviews, I'd either go for the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI for ~£100, or add an extra £15 and go for the Asus Maximus VII Ranger (~£130).

Have gone for Asus Crosshair V Formula AMD 990FX Crossfire SLI DDR3 ATX Motherboard Socket AM3+ and AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8 Core 4.0GHz Processor FD8350FRHKBOX Socket AM3+.

Because you've gone for a K series I'm assuming you want to overclock? As such you'll need a Z series chipset, and the Z97 chipset has just launched ;)

There are 2x Asus Z97 mobos in your price range. The Z97-K (~£100) and Z97-C (~£115).

However, based purely on reviews, I'd either go for the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI for ~£100, or add an extra £15 and go for the Asus Maximus VII Ranger (~£130).

@little_pob looked at this mobo,just don't get the feeling your really promoting it ? was hoping for an Asus board simply because its the only ones I have ever built with. Im not a major gamer/overclocker,but father of four lads all getting into pc gaming..etc,still wanting this too be my pc for a while though,and am willing to spend as much as I can on putting it together...#missedtheboat

Soz m8 Asus board was of interest

If money is no object go for the new i7-4790K (Devil's Canyon) on one of the Asus Maximus VII variants. Get the one that best matches your needs, but, honestly, any of them will do you well.

However, for a gaming rig, you'd probably do better saving upto £100 on the CPU by dropping to the i5-4670K, and spending the freed up capital on the graphics card.

Last edited:
Back