Microsoft to give away anti-virus

oh no mr know it all is here lol but hes right you know

yep, i know he is. its not the IT literate that suffer. its those who buy the stuff, nievely thinking they just switch it on and off you go.
perhaps my long association with MS is to blame. i received my first "beta"I think they called it "pre release" with DOS 4.2, as that was a disaster, the next one i accepted was DOS5. (even then 1990 i think, people were worried about the quality of the software MS were producing, and their anti competitive action against other software company's) as a result i got win 95 free, kin good job too, not worth the, then, £35 upgrade price. got on ok with 98 then moved to XP, though i did run NT3.5 for a while. even so i was charged for every upgrade, except win95. yet Norton sent me their "Norton Utility's" free. it was somewhere in the region of £400 to buy, at th time.

I've been looking at the new "free" antivir from MS. though i cant, yet, get a copy. interesting, all the places that have it, seem unable, as yet, to say how well it works. even CNET, claim they don't carry any viruses with which to test it. it has an incredibly small memory footprint, often less than 5mb down to 3.6mb.

I was just reading some of the reviews on C-NET and its turned more into a slagging match than anything else.

Microsoft's free security beta fills up | Beyond Binary - CNET News

lol, par for the course. I am afraid.
i admit, i did not read the "comments", just the technical reviews. lol such as they are at the moment. still at a loss as to why, nobody seems to be able to review its operation, vis a vis, how well it detects viruses. lots of comments on "low" memory use though.

Back