Michelangelo Antonioni dies

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Blow-Up director Antonioni dies

Italian film director Michelangelo Antonioni, renowned for his 1966 release Blow-Up, has died aged 94.

He gained two Oscar nominations for the iconic release, and was awarded an honorary Academy Award for his life's work in 1995.

He was also nominated for the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival, the Palme d'Or, five times between 1960 and 1982.

The director died peacefully at home on Monday night, his wife, actress Enrica Fico, told La Repubblica newspaper.

Richard Mowe, a film writer and co-director of the Italian Film Festival UK, said Antonioni made productions "that were out of the conventional modes of expression".

"He invented his own language of cinema - that's what made him very, very inventive," he said. "He didn't owe anything to anybody else. He was a total original."

Geoffrey Nowell-Smith, the author of a book on Antonioni's film L'Avventura (The Adventure), described his works as being productions that "invite you to concentrate on them, like great music".

"It's extraordinary that he should die within a day of Ingmar Bergman - that's two greats in two days," said Mr Nowell-Smith, who also curated a season of his work at London's BFI Southbank.

"It's the last link with the great days of European art cinema."
Film critic Kim Newman paid tribute to the director, calling him an "important and fascinating film-maker".

Newman said Antonioni's best films were all concerned with "how awful Italian post-war society is, and how trivial and superficial everybody has become".

"But the films are so beautiful and the people in them are so gorgeous, you can't but feel, well, it would be really great to be alienated, lovelorn and miserable like that."

Fans will be able to pay their respects when Antonioni's body lies in state in the Sala della Protomoteca at Rome's city hall, the Campidoglio, on Wednesday morning.

The funeral will then take place in the director's home town of Ferrara, north-eastern Italy, on Thursday.

Antonioni was born in Ferrara in 1912 and released his debut feature, Story of A Love Affair, at the age of 38.

But he did not achieve international recognition until the mystery L'Avventura 10 years later in 1960.

In 1966, he signed a deal to make a trilogy of films for the English market with legendary Italian film producer Carlo Ponti.

The first was Blow-Up, in which a photographer appears to have uncovered a murder in his photos.

Shot in London, and starring David Hemmings and Vanessa Redgrave, it was his biggest international hit.

Antonioni captured the "flower power" era in 1970, filming Zabriskie Point in California, while Hollywood actor Jack Nicholson starred as a journalist in 1974 in Professione: Reporter (The Passenger).

In 1985, the director suffered a stroke that left him partially paralysed, but he continued to work behind the camera. "Filming for me is living," he said.

His last cinematic release was 2004's The Dangerous Thread of Things, one part of a trilogy of short films released under the title Eros.

Story from BBC NEWS:
Published: 2007/07/31 11:22:32 GMT
© BBC MMVII

I sat through "Blow-Up" twice when it came out. (remember when you could do that):). Great film. It's pretty tame stuff nowadays, but it was pushing the boundaries back then.

Personally I've never heard of the guy.

Sympathies to the family.

Why do you say that?

You don't think that it's news that one of the worlds most influential film directors has died?

I suppose it is news of a sort, but you've got to ask yourself, is it worthy?

Personally I don't think so, have never heard of the guy or the movie, although I'm sure he was a fantastic person.

News like "Father dies after being pelted by a young mob", or "One cannabis joint as bad as 5 cigarettes" would be better reading.

I'm not going to get overexcited over some bloke who made a movie.
And I don't think you should either.

Unless of course it's an arguement you want just because someone made a comment about your "News" story?

I suppose it is news of a sort, but you've got to ask yourself, is it worthy?

Personally I don't think so, have never heard of the guy or the movie, although I'm sure he was a fantastic person.

News like "Father dies after being pelted by a young mob", or "One cannabis joint as bad as 5 cigarettes" would be better reading.

Unless of course it's an arguement you want just because someone made a comment about your "News" story?

I can't believe what you are saying. You don't know him so it's not significant news?

I posted this because he was a major figure in the film industry whose work I knew.

I think it's a sad world where our cultural history is so easily thrown away.

If you weren't interested why comment?

And I resent your implication that the only reason I posted it was because it was, "a slow news day".

Yesterday I posted about the death of another great director, Bergman, why? Because I'm a movie enthusiast and am aware of his and Antonioni's contribution to, and influence on, modern cinema.

Last edited:

Why do you think I posted the comment above?
If you want to go off the rails over a comment, you knock yourself out me old son.

Calm down, if I hurt your feelings, please accept my humblest apologies.
I honestly had no idea your copy & paste job meant that much to you.

I won't comment on your posts if your going to get all bunched up about it.
Jeez...

Why do you think I posted the comment above?
If you want to go off the rails over a comment, you knock yourself out me old son.

Calm down, if I hurt your feelings, please accept my humblest apologies.
I honestly had no idea your copy & paste job meant that much to you.

I won't comment on your posts if your going to get all bunched up about it.
Jeez...

It's you who's being disparaging - just look at the tone of this post of yours.

Why?

you old beggar.lol

Lol, no. Hard-up student at the time.

Slow news day?

.........have never heard of the guy or the movie.

Tbh, if it's a good enough story for The Guardian, The Times, The Telegraph, The Financial Times and The Mail, then I think it's good enough for our news section.

(I haven't checked The Sun, The Sport etc.)

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2138468,00.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/7ab12e9a-3f43-11dc-b034-0000779fd2ac.html

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages...ews.html?in_article_id=472067&in_page_id=1811

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article2174015.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/31/wdirector131.xml

I just saw a clip on BBC News24 of Jeremy Paxman letting rip into this guys movies, I can see a lot of arthouse lovers writing to the BBC :)

Back